Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety before and during job interviews.
Hey I'm having a lot of Anxiety Anxiety before and during job interviews, odd thing is I know there isn't anything to worry about and I'm not scared or anything but my brain feels like it just shuts down. Its starting to become a huge problem. I actually lost a lot of marks when I was at uni because of this.

I haven't had a job since I started uni back in 2007 and Im starting to lost it. I'm seeing the doctor in a few days but just wanted to see what you guys think.

artyboy Wrote:Hey I'm having a lot of Anxiety Anxiety before and during job interviews, odd thing is I know there isn't anything to worry about and I'm not scared or anything but my brain feels like it just shuts down. Its starting to become a huge problem. I actually lost a lot of marks when I was at uni because of this.

I haven't had a job since I started uni back in 2007 and Im starting to lost it. I'm seeing the doctor in a few days but just wanted to see what you guys think.

Well I think I can relate and might be able to help some. Anxiety is a little different for eveyone, particularly with dealing with it. I used to work a very stressful job, I got to the point where I started having chest pains and lightheaded. Well I also drank a lot of coffee... Until one day I was driving back over the mountain I began having one of these episodes and got really really bad by the time I got home. Thought I was dying, ended up in the ER...nothing was wrong with me otherwise.

When you say your brain feels like it, what thoughts and feelings are you having, that is going to be key. Is there anything you're doing that could be compounding the problem? Are you under a lot of stress? I have discovered that even if you don't feel like you're stressed you could still be stressed and just not feel or think that you are.

When you go see the doctor they will probably prescribe an anti-anxiety or anti-depressant. Beware of the side effects, if you don't feel right, don't take it, try something else. My advice is find something that works and try to make it a temporary fix. For me, medication wasn't what I wanted, I didn't like how the medication made me feel, so I did therapy and it helps being able to talk to someone who's trying to get you to dig deep. You just have to be willing to talk and think about the very specific things that are causing the anxiety.

Now I don't know exactly what sort of thoughts and feelings go through your mind but this audiobook, actually quite old, did help me. The book is called "Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. Despite it's age, I still find it to be useful and I think it can help you.

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I'm having a job phobia, anxiety for job interviews (and other social aspects) playing a major role.
I already had it before my first and only job experience, but after I got fired from that company, it got only a lot stronger and I was kinda traumatized, and didn't have a job since 2008 because of this.

It's not going to help you, but just wanted to let you know you're not all alone.

Just be yourself, don't talk about shit they don't ask, response with a direct answear about the questions they make you, or you can also watch a few interviews models online and prepare yourself, mostly the same ask the same questions: studies, experience, future, hobbies, and why they should hire you. that's it Smile

Aquarius Wrote:I'm having a job phobia, anxiety for job interviews (and other social aspects) playing a major role.
I already had it before my first and only job experience, but after I got fired from that company, it got only a lot stronger and I was kinda traumatized, and didn't have a job since 2008 because of this.

It's not going to help you, but just wanted to let you know you're not all alone.

What sort of Jobs are you looking for and is there anything from the previous role that you have had that could impact on why you feel the way you do. Maybe you could get yourself back into work temporarily through an agency (on a non public facing assignment) and build yourself up from there, start off with something that is part time until you can push yourself to do more.

artyboy Wrote:Hey I'm having a lot of Anxiety Anxiety before and during job interviews, odd thing is I know there isn't anything to worry about and I'm not scared or anything but my brain feels like it just shuts down. Its starting to become a huge problem. I actually lost a lot of marks when I was at uni because of this.

I hope that there is something that can be done to help you with this issue. I hate hearing when good people cannot work or get into work, whatever the reason for that may be.

My friend's partner has failed to get work in his chosen field of accountancy and I feel its because of a condition that he has but obviously I cannot prove this. The guy is more intelligent then most of the world but his condition gives him a quirk which he cannot help. He's had to get the odd temp role here and there but its not nice when there isn't guaranteed work.

I've recently just gained myself some employment after being out of work for a few months, I was ready to have a breakdown after working in customer services under some pretty rotten people and it heavily impacted how I saw the workplaces I was at. It has been hard because I kept being offered interviews for the same work when I just wanted to leave it behind me and move onto something which allowed me more freedom.

I have a job coach for disabled people looking to get back into work lol. Fat lot of good is lol.

I keep getting rejections emails 100s of them. I keep asking this job coach to see if he can ring HR departments to see if he can get a foot in the door. He says he will try but he keeps getting companies just messing him about.

The thing is all this rejection is starting to really harm me. Feels like my soul is dieing.

For me, it helps to look at it as 1) I am interviewing THEM to if I even want to work for them, and 2) BY coming in to consider a job with them, I'm doing them a favor. After all, they need me.... otherwise they wouldn't be doing interviews.

Well just this time I let the record video interview go I just wasn't in the right frame of mine to do it.

What I'm going to take away from this is now I know I have an anxiety problem so I can now look for help and also use some of the advice you guys have given me.

I hate giving up so easily but sometimes you have to.

They thing I can't deal that we'll is all the rejection emails I'm getting back from my applications. It's 98% rejection rate atm. It's killing me slowly.