Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Advice?
Okay, so I'm brand new to the site. I joined in the hopes that I might meet someone, or at least make some friends. But to the point, I'm having trouble meeting guys. I live in a small town in the rural US--ranch and cowboy country--where no one wants to admit that they're gay and those who do are usually just looking for a hookup. There are no gay clubs or bars in town, and I'm not exactly sure how to tell if someone is gay.

So how do I meet a guy in a super-conservative town?

Have you tried online dating sites. I am from a very similiar but Canadian town and that helped alot.

I suppose that online type sites aren't that bad of an idea considering your situation. I'd just suggest being weary of what you choose since a lot of folks on those sites are just looking for a hookup as well lol.

I'm sure that there are some where you can develop some real friendships though. Smile

Yeah, I currently have three active accounts on a variety of online dating sites. It's led to one connection so far, but the guy is a lot older than me and it feels more like a mentor relationship, which I'm actually rather happy with right now.

Here's hoping though. The nearest city is three hours from here, though, and very few people are willing to drive that far for a date.

GrandCracker Wrote:...Here's hoping though. The nearest city is three hours from here, though, and very few people are willing to drive that far for a date.
Some of us travel ten hours for a date, so don't despair. I guess making friendships on line is a good way to start if you are not interested in a quick hookup. Some people have made relationships work by becoming friends through this site.

And there is no way you're moving out of this town ever? :?

I doubt if I'll have the chance to get out. Rest assured, though, if opportunity knocks, I'm outa here.

Though I'm not going to necessarily stay in this area long, I can relate. I've been here a while but I never clicked with the gay guys I met here. I mainly hang with a straight married couple I met in college. Only, they are having a baby in a couple months, and it will be harder to hang out with them. Even though I hope to move in the near future, there's no guarantees and I've always kept my eye open to other areas. There are a few sites/groups besides forums like this you could try, such as connexion dot org. You mentioned three dating sites; I'm on more than that lol. Even the more hook-up ones, despite not looking for a hook up, I'm just honest in my profile and figure you never know.

GrandCracker Wrote:very few people are willing to drive that far for a date.

lol loving that they have to come to you :biggrin: now thats standards.

Well, it's a long drive. And I don't have a car, let alone a license. Until now, I never had anywhere to go.