Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Buddhists here?
CardShark Wrote:Other people already have some real nice cutlery, so why not see what its like to use some of it Confusedmile: .
Can't argue with that Wink

While stationed in Japan I was introduced in to the ways of the Shinto way of thinking and a great deal of chanting, which I found very calming, Which filled the empty spot for a time.
While in collage I studied several courses in world religions both past and present I fell in love with the story of the Buddha and his life. It is a little hard for us westerners to understand the sacrifices and the mind set of Buddha.
The yourtube video is one of the life of the Buddha Told by the Dalai Lama

Maybe not as a religion, but I sometimes feel I'm cursed with negative karma. But thats probably me just feeling sorry for myself and looking for something to blame.

Budda said,

"Life is suffering. Suffering comes from desire for things to be as they are not. To eliminate suffering, you must eliminate desire..."

Ok, not in these exact words, but basically.... that's what he said.

I see Mark disagrees that life is suffering... then he must have a very happy life.

Budda wanted to end the sufferings in life. Buddism is the result of his endeavor to end suffering in life. If you realize what Budda has realized, then you will have no more suffering.

Billy Wrote:Maybe not as a religion, but I sometimes feel I'm cursed with negative karma. But thats probably me just feeling sorry for myself and looking for something to blame.

Karma is 'result'.

Result of you thoughts, words, and actions.

If you're blaming karma (result), ultimately you're blaming yourself coz karma (result) is caused by none other than you.

There is no good karma or bad karma. There's just karma. It is YOU who see it as being good, or bad, but karma itself is just karma.

Do not feel sorry for yourself, for you are getting exactly what you deserve.

Do not blame anything, for there is no point in blaming yourself.

Settle your old karma obediently, and make new karma truthfully. Then you will never again say you have bad karma.

Amigo Wrote:Budda said,

"Life is suffering. Suffering comes from desire for things to be as they are not. To eliminate suffering, you must eliminate desire..."

Ok, not in these exact words, but basically.... that's what he said.

I see Mark disagrees that life is suffering... then he must have a very happy life.

Budda wanted to end the sufferings in life. Buddism is the result of his endeavor to end suffering in life. If you realize what Budda has realized, then you will have no more suffering.

But would you have joy any more?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

If you realize what Budda has realized, then you will have no more suffering.

fredv3b Wrote:But would you have joy any more?

No.

And it wouldn't matter.

CardShark Wrote:Buddhism is a interesting religion, well to be honest I wouldn't consider it a religion its more a pholosophy but what ever floats your boat!

Except it is a religion, in order to be a Buddhist you must believe in reincarnation, not to mention the underlying cosmology of the universal-soul.

CardShark Wrote:Personally I like buddhism, main reason is its really the only religion that can actually adapt to the modern world.

Which isn't a good thing. I agree, it's going to be around for a while, but mostly due to the fact that it's ill-understood, and the actual underlying philosophy and cosmology are so convoluted that many people don't try to work them out before accepting it.

CardShark Wrote:I can't believe in a religion which relys upon fear to keep people in line, just seems wrong when its trying to do good!

Buddhism is a religion created to control people: by saying that there are no individual, it forces all people to shun individuality in order to accept collectivism and keep the caste system in Indian society in place. It's much easier to enslave their minds than constantly fighting off revolts. (It's very important to note here that Siddhartha Gautama was a member of the caste that contained his society's warriors and politicos: therefore he would be very interested in developing a system he could use to control people.)

Treat EVERYTHING you encounter in life with credulity, accept nothing at face value, and always keep your eyes open for the catch. It's almost certainly in there somewhere.

My mom is a buddhist so I was influenced by it. Although I am not forced to become a buddhist, I think what Buddha taught was good for me. I find peace when thinking about his teaching. What he taught is to improve ourselves and harm no others.
I also believes there's a God who created everything. The world is so intricately beautiful that his/her existence can't be denied

I'm a Buddhism but not too strict on the sermons or rules or whatever like that..
but it's cool to be buddhism anyway