Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Nurses/Doctors in the house?
Its going on two weeks that I have felt like shit, dizzy, nasueas, little to no appetite, sleepy/tired fatigued all the time. Over the past month or so I have been put on several medications, each seems to have their special side effects to make a person feel all warm and comfortable....Rolleyes

Sertraline (Zolof) 100 mg once a day

Diazepam (Valium) 2 mg 3 times a day

Prazosin 1 mg once a day

Naproxen 500 mg three times a day

Vitamin D 50,000 iu twice a week

Levetiracetam (Keppra) 500 mg 2 times a day.

I was put on Keppra last, and two days after starting it I really, really started feeling sick and bad - to the point where I spent several days laying in bed waiting for the the world to stop spinning.

Even now I feel dizzy, I stand up and get black spots in my vision and my ears start ringing.

Food is like a horrible monster I want nothing to do with - the idea of eating makes my stomach flip flop.

From what I read these 'side effects' are supposed to be temporary - How long is temporary supposed to be?

Any suggestions/ideas on how to ease up the side effects to enable me to do things like IDK walk to the bathroom without feeling like I'm going to pitch over the railing to hit the first floor floor?

Can anyone tell me if taking all of this together is safe?

You need to discuss this with your doctor and pharmacist.

It sounds like drug interactions or intolerance.

This really isn't the proper forum for this. Any medical professional (doctor, nurse, pharmacist, etc.) could actually lose their license for counseling someone who is not a patient. It sounds silly, but consider the reality:

Dr. Smith reads online that someone wants to know if they should stop their medicine. Dr. Smith knows the medicine but not knowing the person as his own patient, he does not know the full ins-and-outs of why this person may be on this medicine rather than any of its alternatives. Dr. Smith tells the person to stop the medicine, and ultimately the person online has an abrupt decline in health. Dr. Smith now has created an issue of liability, as there is reason to question whether it was his advice that caused the decline in health. It may be true that his advice had no relation, but on the surface that is not clear.

All of that said, you are clearly desperate for answers. You should sit down with your pharmacist and discuss this with him. How do you do that? Simple: you go to your pharmacy and say that you would like to discuss with the pharmacist. If you still need to talk more then go to the doctor prescribing these medicines and talk to him or her.

Good luck with everything.

I'm a biology student, but what emac01 said is true.

If anything, I'd start looking at your diet and maybe go from there. Stop eating certain foods, or pay attention to when you feel sick and maybe eliminate by trial and error. Maybe you're deficient in a vitamin you need.

Perhaps getting some bloodwork done could shed some light?

Bowyn, consult with the pharmacist where you get your prescriptions. I take about a dozen different drugs per day. Since I get them all mail order through the insurance company, I took advantage of their offer to look over the whole list with me over the phone. Afer we talked they sent me a written report. By altering the time of when I took a couple of things most of my problems were resolved. It was a valuable phone call.

Of course, you want to talk with your doctor, too. Good luck.
I bid NO Trump!

PS--I hear that playing Doctor at Holiday Inn Express is lots of fun.
I bid NO Trump!

Thanks......................

I'm almost 100% sure you don't tolerate one or maybe several of these medications. Speak to your doctor.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check....0,646-5790

There's the drug interactions.

Here's one, that could explain what you're feeling.
"sertraline ↔ levetiracetam
Applies to: sertraline, levetiracetam

Using sertraline together with levETIRAcetam may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor."

Taking all of that together doesn't seem unsafe and your Doctor, who prescribed all of those, is aware of the drug interactions. If the sideeffects continue to this brutal for more than just a few days, you should contact him and tell him.