Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Scriptwriters on Here?
So I'm not technically a scriptwriter in terms of TV/film/etc, but I am a marketing writer that's written on a much smaller scale... but the other stuff's been an interest for some time. I probably haven't kept up with it like I should, outside of the writing for my job, but was informed of a contest for TV comedy pilots (a pilot being like the first ep of a new show for those not in the know), and the entry fee was actually free! I felt like I didn't have an excuse to not try, so the last few weeks have been working on a script.

Now, comedy is not my strong suit, and it's just the first draft right now, but I was wondering if there's any fellow people here with an interest in scriptwriting that might want to read it and give some feedback? If so, just PM me with your e-mail and I can send a PDF.

The overall premise is a kid start a new school his freshman year of high school and the embarrassments that can come with it, but his family is unique in that his parents are dwarves though he's not. I realized halfway in that part of the plot (not the dwarf part, something else) reminded me of a cable show but I hope it's different enough. Regarding the dwarf part, if we happen to have any reading on here, even if you're not a scriptwriter, it'd be cool to get your input. I want to make sure I'm not offensive. I'm not overly PC or anything, as I think it's important we all laugh at ourselves and it is a comedy after all, but making sure I haven't offended is also something I want to make sure about Smile

Thanks everyone.

Hey jbrowder24: I am a starting screenwriter/playwright with some marketing voiceover and speech and scriptwriting experience. I know the frustration of only having an outlet at work for creativity.

The dwarf premise does remind me of the reality show on some channel.

If you would like a read, please contact me.

I'm new to Gay Speak and do not know how to send a PM (private message)--I'm assuming. I will try to find PM after this post. Take care and keep writing.

Call me overly cautious, but I think you need to think about protecting your ideas. I would expect that in submitting a script to an open competition you are handing over the rights to the ideas contained therein, read the small print to see if this is the case.

If the script or the concept is adopted you'll probably be paid but if the ideas are good you will certainly be able to get more for them elsewhere. Television is a very hungry medium with thousands of hours of screen time to fill every day, there's practically no level to which they won't stoop to get good ideas; what better way than an open competition where dozens, perhaps hundreds, of people hand over their best work for free.

Any production company is always prepared to look at concepts or scripts and you can take care to protect your ideas before submitting them.

Sorry to come on all negative and very best of luck with your writing, just remember that there are some unscrupulous people out there.

Hi. I used to have bigger interest in scriptwriting a few years back, but now I have turned more towards novels and stuff. HOWEVER, I think I am kiiiind of good at both, so I will PM you. I hope I can help and it will also be extremely pleasant for me have a laugh. :]]

If you needed me to review it I have a couple of friends who have worked/do work for the BBC.. One of them writes his own plays and shows and i can always forward it onto him to review and feed back to me... My email addy is [email protected]

kindest regards

zeon

p.s its only an email address that is usually filled with salesmarketing spam so i dont mind posting it on here before anyone screams at me

I would be more than happy to read it if you're willing, I've worked with a friend who does scriptwriting on some very basic editing before. He's done a couple of short films though nothing on TV, rather ambitious but I can send him an email if you're interested.

I'm not so sure about the dwarves but I really think any idea can work in the right circumstances and with the correct writing.

It seems good for me... I am yet to forward it onto my friend but will do soon

I co-wrote some amateur web comics back in the day and I mean amateur we would post the on our geocities site, basically only are friends were the only ones to read them. I wrote about 30 pages of content, my brother drew about 13 of them before we got bored.

I am a performance artist and I script my shows. I also have been writing my own ad copy for years. Plus, I have published a book about how to influence people with words.