Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Welsh-speakers out there ?
Helô, Sut mae? Dal ati!, Daliwch ati & Nadolig Llawen!!

I hate Welsh... (Sorry!!!) I think it looks and sounds horrible, possibly the worst language I've come across... (Sorry for anyone that may offend... >_> <_<)

Condemned Wrote:I wouldn’t go as far as to say there were different ‘versions’ of Welsh. I mean, granted there are many colloquial differences, be it in terminology or simple pronunciation. Still, it’s no different with English – with the differences between northern and southern England. The words don’t change; it’s just the words people choose to use.

May I point out that is untrue, as there is words in south wales which mean jack all or something different in North wales. Also if you go abroad to some of the native welsh villages they to will speak a different version.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Hyde Wrote:Helô, Sut mae? Dal ati!, Daliwch ati & Nadolig Llawen!!

I hate Welsh... (Sorry!!!) I think it looks and sounds horrible, possibly the worst language I've come across... (Sorry for anyone that may offend... >_> <_<)

-Cries a river Cry
[/COLOR]

Haha. A lot of people say that. I guess a lot of it derives from the fact that the Welsh language is so different from English. It’s a very old language, and sadly, due to the low number that speak it, it has never been truly modernized. Aside from Latin, it’s the oldest language in Europe, so it’s very different to any other language spoken. (Aside from Gaelic and Gallic, of course). Big Grin

saltybeanz Wrote:May I point out that is untrue, as there is words in south wales which mean jack all or something different in North wales. Also if you go abroad to some of the native welsh villages they to will speak a different version.

There are very few words in South Wales that are unfamiliar to the Welsh speakers in North Wales. Those few words that are, are considered ‘colloquial’ terms, that aren’t included in the Welsh dictionary. It’s merely the odd phrase here and there that can throw people, but that doesn’t constitute a different ‘version’ of the Welsh language.

As for Welsh villages abroad, e.g. Patagonia in Argentina – again, the words don’t change, it’s just the influence of Spanish on the Welsh language. They will use Spanish words when chatting, rather than English words like we do here in the UK.

Condemned Wrote:There are very few words in South Wales that are unfamiliar to the Welsh speakers in North Wales. Those few words that are, are considered ‘colloquial’ terms, that aren’t included in the Welsh dictionary. It’s merely the odd phrase here and there that can throw people, but that doesn’t constitute a different ‘version’ of the Welsh language.

As for Welsh villages abroad, e.g. Patagonia in Argentina – again, the words don’t change, it’s just the influence of Spanish on the Welsh language. They will use Spanish words when chatting, rather than English words like we do here in the UK.

Doesnt matter how 'few' words you class it, they still differ sentances creating a different version. For example English and US English, both based on english, not that many different terms, but still classed as two different forms. This is the same in Wales, and as I remember, in various speaking exams ive done, because I used the Northen welsh term by accident it completely threw the sentance.

Also May I say unlike english, there more modern welsh and tradition welsh get spoken still in many places, but again this language is different and as Ive said before There are different forms.

I got mates which are from up north, one in particular, and we did have a welsh conversation and She didnt understand me.
[/COLOR]

The few words that are ‘unfamiliar’ aren’t included in the official Welsh dictionary. Thus, as there is only one official Welsh dictionary, there is only one version of the welsh language. With regards to spoken Welsh, I don’t think there is a major difference. People tend to over-exaggerate the divide, due to the competition and dislike between the North and the South.

I’ve been born and bread in South Wales, speaking nothing but Welsh in school and to a large part of my family. When my relatives from North Wales come to visit, I notice a slight difference, but I never have a problem understanding them, and vice versa. It’s just a different accent, and the choice of words.

Example:

Lass and Lad – Boy and Girl.

Hogan and Hogyn – Bachgen a Merch.

Condemned Wrote:The few words that are ‘unfamiliar’ aren’t included in the official Welsh dictionary. Thus, as there is only one official Welsh dictionary, there is only one version of the welsh language. With regards to spoken Welsh, I don’t think there is a major difference. People tend to over-exaggerate the divide, due to the competition and dislike between the North and the South.

I’ve been born and bread in South Wales, speaking nothing but Welsh in school and to a large part of my family. When my relatives from North Wales come to visit, I notice a slight difference, but I never have a problem understanding them, and vice versa. It’s just a different accent, and the choice of words.

Example:

Lass and Lad – Boy and Girl.

Hogan and Hogyn – Bachgen a Merch.

First of all id like to say I didnt say there was a completely different language I said versions.

Also ive not mentioned any divide :confused: and ive never seen dislike/competition? :confused:

Anyway if you read back I mentioned versions, as his boyfriend is from mid wales not south, so I cannot predict if he will completely understand what I say. There may only be one dictionary, yet as you SHOULD know, the welsh spoken in Cardiff was adapted due to more english moving here, so in a way it was simplified. (Over time the TRADITIONAL welsh has been lost out as people simply cant do it any more.)

Where as if you go North the welsh there is spoken much wider than here in cardiff. The language in North hasnt strayed much from the tradional.

Also one more point, there is one MAIN english dictionary for the english right? Yet im sure any of them can tell you there are different versions of the language spoken. For example in the south they may use words the north dont.

The cockney language (Barney rubble) and all that people in other parts wont have a clue. I dont see how you can say there is no difference, as I doubt theres a language on this planet which due to different areas, dont speak in a different way, still based around the original language. Slang is a good example of this.

But honestly I think you'd find if you travel to other places speaking welsh, part of the things they say you will struggle to understand.

Anyway. Sorry people this has gone off topic.
[/COLOR]

saltybeanz Wrote:The cockney language (Barney rubble) and all that people in other parts wont have a clue. I dont see how you can say there is no difference, as I doubt theres a language on this planet which due to different areas, dont speak in a different way, still based around the original language. Slang is a good example of this.

""Found me way up the apples, put on me whistle and the bloody dog went. Would you Adam and Eve it, was me trouble telling me to fetch the teapots.""

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:""Found me way up the apples, put on me whistle and the bloody dog went. Would you Adam and Eve it, was me trouble telling me to fetch the teapots.""

What :eek: LOL
[/COLOR]

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:""Found me way up the apples, put on me whistle and the bloody dog went. Would you Adam and Eve it, was me trouble telling me to fetch the teapots.""

found my way up the stairs, put on my suit and the bloody phone went. Would you believe it, was my wife telling me to fetch the kids.

I did just use copy/paste for that one... but I understood it easy enough. Coming from London, oughta really!