Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any astrologers here?
I view astrology the same way I view religion. There are many different systems of astrology which contradict each other. People choose a system (or religion) based on their culture, an early experience, their friends, etc. Just as there are Islamic, Jewish and Christian scholars who spend a lifetime studying their faith, convinced of its truth, there are likewise astrologers who study and are convinced.

Yes, people can have good experiences with astrology or religion, but that doesn't mean either is based in reality. I think they both tap into a human urge to interact with our subconscious minds. Some choose religion, some astrology, some drugs, etc. Mythology and symbolism seem to express these experiences more effectively than science can, for most people.

Pix, thanks for your last post. That is the best I've seen to put astrology into a context I can appreciate. I have to take issue with you calling Newton as an astrologer, however. I came across that claim somewhere else recently, so I checked into it. Although he was fascinated with theology and alchemy, it's a stretch to call him an astrologer. Apparently he looked into the subject and found it less than convincing. Check here if you're curious.

This world is a beautiful, complicated, mysterious place, and I think the human psyche is one of its most mysterious aspects. As far as I'm concerned, astrology is a dead end for understanding that mystery.

Wade Wrote:I took a glance at Matt's post and copied the first sentence I saw:

"Although you take quite a while to make decisions, you usually consider all sides to a question"

That's what charlatans call a "Barnum Statement." It's a term for descriptions of people that contradicts itself, thereby not saying anything at all in essence. If the statement just read "You take quite a while to make decisions," then half (roughly) of people who read it would disagree with it's assertion of their personality. It would be too bold, too specific. But saying "Although you take quite a while to make decisions, you usually consider all sides to a question" is just vague enough to get most people to think, "yeah... that's exactly what I do. Sometimes I do one thing, and other times I do another!"

It's a trick.

Oh Mister Wade!!!!!
You make my widdle head hurt wiff all doze fancy werdz!!!!

Yes, I know Im WEIRD....

But everytime I hear talk of astrology or astronomy, this song comes to my mind....
And I really dont mind it being stuck there, in my head....