Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any collectors on here?
I'm curious as to what some other items are that people collect. I tend to be a bit of a collector myself, and I love to pick up good antiques when I can afford it here and there. I have a collection of old postcards (many of them written on) and tin daguerrotypes, as well as some really old dolls (some that are beat to hell and scary looking, and a couple of really old Kewpie dolls that are actually worth some money).

Aside from antiques, I have a lot of books and movies as well, and a medium sized collection of vinyl records and CDs.

What are some items you collect?

I used to collect peppermint tins... ._. one of them had a hidden mirror inside it!

I want to start collecting penguin classics books, I've got two at the moment...

Vinyl records and broken hearts.

Pewter statuettes, mainly military.

Models of vintage cars.

I collect Alex's sperm sample hahahahha and I need a new one every day LOL

No seriously I collect money Smile From every countries

Lilitu Wrote:I used to collect peppermint tins... ._. one of them had a hidden mirror inside it!

I want to start collecting penguin classics books, I've got two at the moment...

I've got four, you little bitch! I won! I won! I've also wanted to collect them actually. Obviously I'm doing a much better job than you are. FOUR. FOOOOOOUR. ^_^

I collect and play Magic The Gathering.

I used to collect British Police Force badges and then moved on to er... umn... well that is... Star Trek Com Badges. A com-badge for the un-sad and non fans is the badge you'll see people wearing on the show. Worn on the wearers left breast and tapped to open a communication channel with another person or their ship.

One thing I noticed about Star Trek and com-badges was that they don't always tap the badge to speak to someone and never to close down the channel they just opened by tapping the badge a second time.

These days I like to collect unusual objects. Those items that you don't encounter every day and tend to fascinate us when we do. I recently bought a Stethoscope.

Quite by accident I've acquired a growing collection of religious artefacts. I have couple of crucifixes that I bought on visits to places like Chester Cathedral and York Minster etc, I have a pewter chalice and three statues of the ancient Egyptian goddess Bastet who is sometimes depicted as having the body of a woman with the head of a cat or simply as a svelte black cat on a plinth. I have a statue of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis, often depicted as having the body of a man with a Jackal's head or sometimes as a Jackal on a plinth wearing the ancient Egyptian formal headdress.

In addition I have a Buddha and a Ho Tai. My first boyfriend and his family were very much into far eastern culture and he told me that the thin statues are Buddha or Prince Siddhartha, an Indian nobleman who was the first person to achieve "enlightenment" and the plump, jolly little man whose belly we rub to bring us good financial luck is Ho Tai, a Japanese monk who lived round 907-923 C.E. They don't represent the same person.

I have a small brass Minorah - the seven stemmed Jewish candle stick and emblem of Judaism. I rescued it from simply being melted down with a lot of other bits of scrap metal at a lead and silver foundry where I was employed as a Security Officer. I was at college at the time and found the night work was greatly conducive to study. As I wandered around the vats of molten lead I spied this unusual looking item and thought that as a symbol of a faith, it deserved a better fate. It was an ugly grey colour with those green patches of metal salts that tarnish. It stayed like that for years until I decided to attack it with Brasso last year. It came up a treat - a nice golden-yellow brass. It's only a few inches high and takes Birthday Cake candles. I fitted it with blue and white candles, the colours of the Israeli flag.

I have this... thing, about skulls and the skeleton. I have a full size Anatomically correct facsimile of a human skull, and from what I gather from various books on Forensic science, it's the skull of a black woman. I have what I suppose is the head of a cane or walking stick in the shape of a human skull and three wee little skeletons set in the pose of the Three Wise Monkeys (See no, speak no and see no. I made my own version last year from plastic Hallow-e'en decorations.

Still on the theme of death, I have two figurines of the Grim Reaper about 8 Inches high. One of which is a Disc World character from the novels by Terry Pratchett. I also have a Terry Pratchett's "Death" greeting card which was indeed a Christmas card and which my boyfriend of the time kindly had mounted and framed. He gave me that card in 1995 and I have it still.

It could also be said that I collect injuries - but that's another topic.

Vigilias Wrote:I used to collect British Police Force badges and then moved on to er... umn... well that is... Star Trek Com Badges. A com-badge for the un-sad and non fans is the badge you'll see people wearing on the show. Worn on the wearers left breast and tapped to open a communication channel with another person or their ship.

One thing I noticed about Star Trek and com-badges was that they don't always tap the badge to speak to someone and never to close down the channel they just opened by tapping the badge a second time.

These days I like to collect unusual objects. Those items that you don't encounter every day and tend to fascinate us when we do. I recently bought a Stethoscope.

Quite by accident I've acquired a growing collection of religious artefacts. I have couple of crucifixes that I bought on visits to places like Chester Cathedral and York Minster etc, I have a pewter chalice and three statues of the ancient Egyptian goddess Bastet who is sometimes depicted as having the body of a woman with the head of a cat or simply as a svelte black cat on a plinth. I have a statue of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis, often depicted as having the body of a man with a Jackal's head or sometimes as a Jackal on a plinth wearing the ancient Egyptian formal headdress.

In addition I have a Buddha and a Ho Tai. My first boyfriend and his family were very much into far eastern culture and he told me that the thin statues are Buddha or Prince Siddhartha, an Indian nobleman who was the first person to achieve "enlightenment" and the plump, jolly little man whose belly we rub to bring us good financial luck is Ho Tai, a Japanese monk who lived round 907-923 C.E. They don't represent the same person.

I have a small brass Minorah - the seven stemmed Jewish candle stick and emblem of Judaism. I rescued it from simply being melted down with a lot of other bits of scrap metal at a lead and silver foundry where I was employed as a Security Officer. I was at college at the time and found the night work was greatly conducive to study. As I wandered around the vats of molten lead I spied this unusual looking item and thought that as a symbol of a faith, it deserved a better fate. It was an ugly grey colour with those green patches of metal salts that tarnish. It stayed like that for years until I decided to attack it with Brasso last year. It came up a treat - a nice golden-yellow brass. It's only a few inches high and takes Birthday Cake candles. I fitted it with blue and white candles, the colours of the Israeli flag.

I have this... thing, about skulls and the skeleton. I have a full size Anatomically correct facsimile of a human skull, and from what I gather from various books on Forensic science, it's the skull of a black woman. I have what I suppose is the head of a cane or walking stick in the shape of a human skull and three wee little skeletons set in the pose of the Three Wise Monkeys (See no, speak no and see no. I made my own version last year from plastic Hallow-e'en decorations.

Still on the theme of death, I have two figurines of the Grim Reaper about 8 Inches high. One of which is a Disc World character from the novels by Terry Pratchett. I also have a Terry Pratchett's "Death" greeting card which was indeed a Christmas card and which my boyfriend of the time kindly had mounted and framed. He gave me that card in 1995 and I have it still.

It could also be said that I collect injuries - but that's another topic.

well certainly sounds like you have alot of skeletons in your closet! Tongue

I collect frogs- any make, color, material.

I also collect a specific kind of china made at the turn of the century, called American Belleek. The Lenox company grew out of a company that used to make it. Much of it is hand-painted. Example below:

[Image: 306.1L.jpg]