Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any good exfoliators?
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy exfoliator.

But there are so many choices out there: Nivea,Gatsby,Garnier etc.

Any good brand that you guys can recommend? =)

I use Aveeno. It's very gentle and works for me.

http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+po...ks&from=fn

Instead of spending money on expensive brands, mix sugar with olive oil and use that. If you're using it on your face, use icing sugar.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I can't use most commercial lotions, creams, soaps and scrubs. My allergies and skin sensitivity just won't allow it.

I use the sugar scrub mentioned by Londoner. You wash your face with a soft cloth and hot water. Then spread olive oil on and leave for 5-10 minutes. Then scrub in a circular motion with sugar (never tried powdered sugar but if your skin is sensitive that could be a good idea) and then gently wash off the entire concoction first with warm water then with a wash cloth to get the remaining oil off your face.

I also occasionally have small acne outbreaks and do the same thing but with honey instead of olive oil during those times. The honey helps clear up the acne.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I also occasionally have small acne outbreaks and do the same thing but with honey instead of olive oil during those times. The honey helps clear up the acne.

Manuka honey has particularly good antiseptic properties.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I have extremely sensitive skin, have to use very specific things to wash with, even to brush my teeth, and also cannot even eat most things do to overall sensitivity, but the wash I mentioned is very gentle and not expensive if you don't want to make your own. Just wanted to mention that it's not like most commercial washes.

I wash my face very thoroughly with good soap, not one that has hand cream or man cream or any cream, rinse it with warm water, use a good very soft bristled brush and go back over the whole area. Rinse again, twice, the second time with iced water. My dermatologist suggested this commenting that all the exfoliators of which she was aware contained chemicals or modest acids that were best kept from your face. The sugar and olive oil as well as honey have been staples for years. If one went to a salon for a "natural" exfoliating, they would be amongst the things used. Also Avocado...although why eludes me.

Avocado is moisturizing.

Natural is always best!

Glycerin soap and a clean terrycloth washcloth. GENTLE rubbing, not scrubbing removes all of the loose dead skin and other detritus of living in a a dirty, polluted world.

I'm 48 years of age and have nary a single wrinkle on my face. Which would be odd considering how I flat refuse to use masks, peels, exfoiliants, body scrubs and sunblock... Ok that last may be a mistake.

Actually its not odd. It is part genetics and part the fact that I don't go around stripping off sebum (natural skin oil) and the dead layer of skin which acts like a UV block to protect the new skin underneath.

And I have spent many a day in the sun in construction and gardening and am a white boy thus should be naturally prone to the ravages of sun exposure.

I refrain from processed foods, box meals, fast foods... I tend to use fresh raw ingredients and do the old timey thing of preparing and cooking my food from scratch. I also eat a diet composed 2/3rd of vegetable matter, with the last third being half meat and half carbohydrates (rice/grains).

I consume far less sugar than the average American Diet. So little that a candy bar gives me a sugar rush.

I have great hair too - So great that every-time I would go to the hair stylist (the ex insited on stylists, I was ok with barber shops) the women all want to touch it and there is always one saying she would kill for my hair....

That secret is that I don't shampoo daily, I don't use conditioner, I don't use hair care products, I don't bother with a blow dryer. On average I shampoo every third day. More in summer with sweating and all the dust and debris I pick up from my labors in in the yard.

Sebum is the body's natural body oil. It protects and lubricates the skin and hair. All mammals produce it, the chemistry changes from species to species. Most products (Shampoos, skin care etc) strip away that protective oil and then attempts to replace it with some other oil or moisturizer that isn't as effective.

There are 'experiments' being ran like this guy's: http://www.ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/ which is showing that a healthy human being doesn't need all of those chemical products to be clean and healthy and still smell nice.

I never exfoliated myself, but I heard that vaseline with sugar mixed into it could be used as an exfoliant.