Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one interested in History??
You mean apart from bringing you hot water and the baths to Bath???

And sraight roads :biggrin:...just sayin!

I wish I could be as interested in history as you most of you guys. I have to take Political Science 1 (American Government) and History 20 (American History through the Civil War) in Spring semester =[ I hope i pass both of them. They're for general ed. so I have to take both of them.

sweetlad86 Wrote:Whats the connection between the Ancient Greeks and gays then??

Well lets see...

It was promoted in many armies for men to slept together in order for them to become attatched, thus when they fought they would be more ready to die for one another. Two generals, Pelopidas and Epaminondas, in Thebes implemented an entire section of the military called the Sacred Band towards this, 300 men who were to have male/male relationships. The Sacred Band and the Theban army were the first to hand the Spartans a true defeat in a war, and they even subjagated the mighty Spartan polis.

Further along, Alexander the Great was at least a bisexual. He did have a wife, but it was said that his true lover was a man.

Moreover, there are many stories in the mythology of close male *friendships*. One example being the relationship between Orestes and Pylades in the Orestia. Those relationships though are not directly stated as homosexual but some scholars try to determine through the language if there was subtext being used by the author.

Anyway, there are some examples. :biggrin:

princealbertofb Wrote:Do you know that SS stands for SchutzStaffel???
does it not? (Defence or Protection Team or Squadron)
Schutzstaffel (German), in the Nazi regime: an elite paramilitary unit, originally of bodyguards to party leaders, later of ruthless and feared enforcers of Nazi policy in all areas, of which the Gestapo formed a part.
[1940s: German, meaning 'defence squadron'.]
As for the Democratic Republic's STASI that stood for Staats Sicherheits Dienst
Stasi German
abbreviation the name of the former East German secret police which was abolished in 1990.
[1990s: German, a shortened form of Staatssicherheitsdienst state security service.]

Gestapo is yet another Nazi contraction - Geheimnisse Staatspolizei
It literally means ' Secret State Police'. Considering how much Hitler banged on about a pure Germany, the Nazis really screwed up the German language to meet their own purposes, so there were words like 'Lebensraum' literally 'room to live' which was used in connection with the ghetto-ization and murder of Jews and the claiming of the Sudetenland as Germany territory.
'Die Endlösung der Judenfrage' or 'Final solution of the Jewish question' actually meant an acceleration of the mass extermination of Jews. Perhaps the most notorious of Nazi phrases was 'Arbeit macht frei' (Work sets one free) which was emblazoned above the gates of Aushwitz.

Phil! Wrote:And sraight roads :biggrin:...just sayin!
Interestingly enough, although Roman roads were superior in length and quality, they weren't the first stright roads to be constructed in England. :3

Ralwatt Wrote:Interestingly enough, although Roman roads were superior in length and quality, they weren't the first stright roads to be constructed in England. :3

Ya know neither of us spelled straight right :tongue:

Phil! Wrote:Ya know neither of us spelled straight right :tongue:
I'm sorry, my laptop keyboard isn't very good, some keys aren't as sensitive as they should be. While others are too sensitive. Dx

Phil! Wrote:Ya know neither of us spelled straight right :tongue:

Probably cause there is something about that word... it just doesn't want to be uttered.Rolleyes :tongue:

I like XRIMO's explanation better Roflmao