Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one interested in History??
I found out while watching the programme called Hitlers bodyguard's on UKTVHistory, where it was stated that Hitler him self closed down the first work camp (1931) because the SS were being to abusive towards the inmates, but Garbles the head of the Gestapo part of the SS, got Hitler to change his mind. When Hitler closed down the work camp 37,000 people where set free, but as soon as Hitler changed the orders, Gables rounds them all up and that the last time they were ever seen.

I'm starting to think Hitler was more like a pupate than a leader, the people around him, controlled him.

You have to remember back in 1944 all the high brass were killed off, and Hitler started to lost it!!!

The Nazi regime was at times a somewhat weird form of government. Hitler, once he had gotten up, which may not have been until nearly lunchtime, would talk semi-randomly about the ills of Germany. Those around him would then come up with various actual policies to remedy those ills. At the same time Hitler was fond of giving two people essentially the same job and let them fight it out, the result was that his entourage competed to suggest the most extreme policies.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Weird indeed and very unhealthy and counterproductive (so be it!! Wink Fred)...

princealbertofb Wrote:Weird indeed and very unhealthy and unproductive...

A government that succeeds in conquering most of Europe can hardly be described as unproductive. Counter-productive in the end, certainly, but not unproductive.
Fred

What a big tit he was though!

No wonder our governments never Kill him off lol!

Would of been interesting if Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel took over Germany, he hate the Nazi party.

Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel is one of my heroes of the WW2, even though I had family in North Africa while we were fight him, he was a good fair men, well thats what I think!

[Image: rommel4.jpg]

sweetlad86 Wrote:Would of been interesting if Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel took over Germany, he hate the Nazi party.

Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel is one of my heroes of the WW2, even though I had family in North Africa while we were fight him, he was a good fair men, well thats what I think!

I am afraid I am rather unoriginal, my WW2 hero is General Patton.

Quote:Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to you. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down!
Quote:Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
Quote: No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
Quote:It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Fred

Ralwatt Wrote:Interestingly enough, although Roman roads were superior in length and quality, they weren't the first stright roads to be constructed in England. :3
I watched a docco on this. Wasnt it the goths or celts or something that built the first roads?

And yeah I'm interested in history. But rather than be interested in facts, dates and events I'm more interested in the people. Ive read many bios on Hitler and Stalin etc. I'm reading through all of Cicero's works at the moment. Before that I was reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Awesome book.

One bit of history that fascinates me but saddens me is titanic.. I have always been interested in it and sad that so many people lost their lives and now people in lower class were condemned to death yet hadnt done anything wrong in the first place.. My landlord is a buddist and says that his phobia of water is because he was a weathy man on the titanic in his past life and his stubborness is being paid this life as he shunned people with his money and is now poor in this life.. I know if i am out of my deph in water and cannot safely touch the bottom i worry unless im in a swimming pool but i dont relate that to anything life this however if past lives do exist are our phobias from past life experiences?

2 Laugh1

zeon Wrote:One bit of history that fascinates me but saddens me is titanic.. I have always been interested in it and sad that so many people lost their lives and now people in lower class were condemned to death yet hadnt done anything wrong in the first place.. My landlord is a buddist and says that his phobia of water is because he was a weathy man on the titanic in his past life and his stubborness is being paid this life as he shunned people with his money and is now poor in this life.. I know if i am out of my deph in water and cannot safely touch the bottom i worry unless im in a swimming pool but i dont relate that to anything life this however if past lives do exist are our phobias from past life experiences?

Sad thing about it too. Is that it was more to do with the insurance pay out if the ship which was meant to be the titanic but its starting to come to light that it was more likely to be her sister ship RMS Olympic.

The story goes that
on 20 September 1911, Olympic broke hear back when she collided with a British warship, HMS Hawke off the Isle of Wight. Although the incident resulted in the flooding of two of her compartments and a twisted propeller shaft, Olympic was able to limp back to Southampton.

The Hawke incident was a financial disaster for Olympic's operator, and keeping her out of revenue service made matters worse. Olympic returned to Belfast, and to speed up her repair, Harland and Wolff was forced to delay Titanic's completion and use her propeller shaft for Olympic. In February 1912, Olympic lost a propeller blade and she once again returned to her builder for emergency repairs. To get her back to service immediately, Harland & Wolff again had to pull resources from Titanic, delaying her maiden voyage from 20 March 1912 to 10 April 1912.

This is where the story gets interesting, there have been reports of the ship builders going home and the next day the titanic had change a little from the day before and they were told if they told any body about the changes they would be fired.

Doesn't the dates look strange too, 4 days later the titanic sinks, very convent for White Star Line isn't??

White Star Line save a lot of money with the sinking to, I think the pay out was about £6,000,000.