Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any players of American McGee's Alice?
I've fallen in love with this vid:

I looked it up online (and have saved other vids for future viewing) and most of my questions have been answered. Just one really teases my mind now:

What's up with Alice “teleporting” around by turning into a bunch of butterflies to appear elsewhere (as shown a couple of times between 3:03-3:12)?

Ok, I'm also curious about all the dominoes, I'm sure it has some symbolic meaning, whether or not it was ever shared with the public.

And I read on wikipedia that the Cheshire Cat dies...is that a pretty sure thing in the game or just a possibility? If it's meant to happen then how? I'm especially interested in the symbolism of Alice's shattered psyche and/or the cat that saved her from the fire (and would like to know more about that, too). If someone doesn't want to give public spoilers then feel free to PM me.

Likewise, I'd be curious to hear about the end fate of the evil psychiatrist and his Wonderland counterpart.

Gods, let the movie be made to this soon, I think I'll finally found a screen version I love! Pray

I LOVE the original American Mcgee's Alice and the sequel Alice the madness returns!!! The butterfly thing is a special way to dodge that she gets. There were rumors a while back that Sarah Michelle Geller was really wanting to make this a live action movie and play Alice. It's a really good story in my opinion and a perfect macabre twist on a children's tale.

yeah loved the original, didn't play the sequel, great game also and much closer to the original books

Cheshire Cat does die in the first installment, if I remember correctly, but returns in the sequel anyway. Who can blame him?

Thanks.

Am I to understand that these things don't get explained too much? I understand game books (like "Choose Your Own Adventure") are like that even to the point that the story/motivations of the characters arbitrarily changes depending on your choice (that is there is no real story, they're just props & setting that gets whimsically changed whenever convenient by the author rather than your character in the book having made a real difference) so I guess it would make sense.

IMO, story games should be consistent. That is, a schedule of events are set in motion (that is what happens if the character doesn't act) and characters have their own independent motivations (though characters might change them, even convert a bad guy to the side of good or drive someone good into malicious acts). Back when I played D&D, for an easy example, it was important to me that the man-eating oozes had something to snack on in between rare adventurers crossing their path and show signs of habitation (so if there's a lot of webs, dust, and mold then it's a pretty safe bet a gray ooze or similar acidic monster isn't prowling about). The ooze didn't just exist to throw at adventurers because that didn't make sense to me, and for me to get into a story it had to make sense (even if a surrealistic or fairy tale kind). But I'm aware many others don't consider that important (and refer to people like me as "storytellers" and make fun of us for listing relatives, past lovers, mementos carried, and the like of our fictional character on our character sheets, which I've admit to having done before, or when wondering if someone is charmed we'll think of looking for a spouse or relative to ask if their behavior changed recently which would never occur to the other types as they see the other people are just "extras" to use as props in the adventure with no real lives of their own with no parents or any existence at all outside their convenience to the story, and for that matter most haven't even thought of the parents of their own character!), though of course there are names for them and their style of play (with snarky comments), too.

I just saw one YT vid of the ending of I guess the first game. The Cheshire died trying to tell Alice what she needed to know. After victory against the Red Queen she somehow resurrected the land and the Cheshire Cat was alive again (plus it showed her leaving the asylum, I believe, in her normal life and a cat came up to her which I presume is the cat that saved her from the fire and the Cheshire counterpart).

Didn't play the original, did play Madness Returns on the Xbox, it's really fun Big GrinD