Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Else Interested In Alternate History ?
I'm just wondering if anyone else is interested in alternate history.

What is alternate history?

Richard

If you mean the "Hitler wasn't that bad" type of history, NO, but if you just mean looking at historic events in a different perspective, yes, if you get me on a good day. I love a good debate Smile.

Yes.

(Need 10 characters to post)

Hummm..... a 10 letter word for Alternative History: Conjecture.

That's 10!

You mean republicanism?

Alternate history is not revisionist history, its imagining possible realistic scenarios where history happened differently. For instance what if the Greeks had failed to repulse the Persian invasions? Or one that I just happened to pose to someone earlier today - "would there have been a second world war if there hadn't been Hitler?"

As a history nerd I find it fascinating.

is this that website that writes articles on history if key events had turned out differently?

I think it's fun, I've read an article on Antarctica if it were a habitable continent.

Yes- I read "the man in the high castle" - Philip k Dick. An alternate history where the axis powers win WWII.

My opinion what you said would there been WWII without hitler- no he was a freak, an anomoly.

This is alternative history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history

Ever watch Star Trek where they have episodes in alternate universes? It's sort of like that, but it's typically set in contemporary or historical times (though it CAN include the future, but there will be major changes before contemporary times). Sometimes it's presented as an alternative world with members who somehow come to be in our timeline and/or vice versa, but more often than not it's simply a story set in the alternative timeline (which should be explained fairly quickly).