Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Else Interested In Alternate History ?
partisan Wrote:Yes- I read "the man in the high castle" - Philip k Dick. An alternate history where the axis powers win WWII.

My opinion what you said would there been WWII without hitler- no he was a freak, an anomoly.

I read it too and hated it, one of the most unpleasant reading experiences I've ever had. The man in the high castle is an unfinished work and that clearly shows. There is no structure, no logic, no cohesion. The author didn't do his homework and has very little to say on the subject of ww2.

To me, alternate history should be essentially a History lesson with entertainment. Yes, it is fiction but it should be kept anchored in reality and historical facts. Philip K. Dick's novel has no History and the fiction is dull and insipid.

MisterLove Wrote:I read it too and hated it, one of the most unpleasant reading experiences I've ever had. The man in the high castle is an unfinished work and that clearly shows. There is no structure, no logic, no cohesion. The author didn't do his homework and has very little to say on the subject of ww2.

To me, alternate history should be essentially a History lesson with entertainment. Yes, it is fiction but it should be kept anchored in reality and historical facts. Philip K. Dick's novel has no History and the fiction is dull and insipid.

Well, first of all id like to say, YES it wasnt the greatest book ive ever read, i know the structure was all messed up, and it ended nowhere, but as i believe, and heard, philip k dick, is a novelist of ideas, that book ended nowhere, but it did sort of in setting the stage for the reality that japan would be aware of germanys intention to attack them, which would have to of been an epic book on its own. And i. Believe that was philip, k, dicks most researched book.

Kumawool Wrote:If you mean the "Hitler wasn't that bad" type of history, NO, but if you just mean looking at historic events in a different perspective, yes, if you get me on a good day. I love a good debate Smile.

I meant the first type of history,But I wouldn't mind looking at historic events from different perspectives sometime in the future and having a debate about them.

Lilitu Wrote:is this that website that writes articles on history if key events had turned out differently?

I think it's fun, I've read an article on Antarctica if it were a habitable continent.

Yes, it is that website and I also agree with you that alternative history is fun.

I would, if my knowledge of history and political history was deep enough...the idea always intrigued me.

I like "What if" history.

What if Hitler never came to power?

What if the atom bomb was never discovered/developed?

What if there was absolute proof of aliens that built the pyramids?

I love stuff like that.

Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy is an alternate history! It has airships and stuff, and basically follows WWI... but with huge advancements in technology and some people who didn't exist in our historical timeline. It's pretty nifty! Love that author Smile (He also wrote The Uglies).

Swan Wrote:Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy is an alternate history! It has airships and stuff, and basically follows WWI... but with huge advancements in technology and some people who didn't exist in our historical timeline. It's pretty nifty! Love that author Smile (He also wrote The Uglies).

Yeah, the Leviathan trilogy is pretty good and Scott Westerfeld is a pretty good author,another good alternate history author is Harry Turtledove.