Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone nostalgic over childhood?
I do miss my childhood, I don't really miss school all that much. I didn't have an enjoyable time through out school... I just miss being carefree and not having to worry about things or having to work. I think one of the reasons why we see life pass by so quickly is because we spend most of it at work doing the same thing everyday. So this is why I feel that it is important to get out there and do things because next thing you know you're too old, in too much pain or other problems preventing you to doing those things. Just like I can't get my dad interested in doing any real about of hiking, says his joints hurt too much and so on and I'm sure my number will come soon enough. I just think the more active you stay, hopefully the longer you will be able to do those things.

Anyway...my childhood, well one thing I miss is my imagination. Seems that the older you get the more confined and constrained your imagination gets, as if your imaginations becomes more rational. Like dreaming of having a Lamborghini and what it would be like to drive one. Well we learn that having exotic cars are expensive to maintain and the likelihood of having the money to buy one is just unrealistic so why bother? Or am I pessimistic? Or the imagining finding someone to settle down with and be happy forever....we quickly learn that pretty much is a rarity. It would seem that most of our dreams get crushed and we're left with dreams that are more attainable. Then again it may be just that I am being a Debbie Downer...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

You know my childhood enough to know that there are a lot of reasons for me to work real hard to not think of my childhood.

Between the ages of 8 and 14 there is the "fog of war" protecting me from about 95% of whatever happened in those years. The few memories I do have of then are not altogether happy ones.

Over the decades that have relentlessly pressed past me, more is revealed as, I think, my brain processes through "stuff".

Not too long ago I turned the radio from classical to some other station and the song "Rhinestone Cowboy" was playing and I had one of those breakthrough memories, and it was actually one that was good, if not downright pleasing.

The song triggered a time when I and my best friend were at a gym roller skating, the song playing was rhinestone cowboy. since then I have been gifted with other memories of times with Bret. all of them good, pleasant and I assume the overall feeling I have with THOSE memories is nostalgia.

This was all helpful in helping me understand nostalgia, and why I feel very little of it. Confusedmile:

And do not forget having to not pay the stupid bills.

I miss childhood, or really I should say certain aspects of childhood. There are lots of benefits to getting older too, but I miss it.

I wouldn't say I'm interested in getting back my childhood at all. Some of it was okay until about nine years old but then it just became very frustrating and depressing. So I don't want to go back to it. The good parts that I liked about it I try to recreate or bring them with me. I'm much happier now in adult life then I ever was as a teenager or child.

To answer your bonus question, no I don't think remakes ruin my childhood. If a remake of something from my childhood turns out good or better then I'm all for it. If it doesn't then I just enjoy the original/previous version of it that I liked before and realize the remade product probably has an audience of its own. So I don't wish "bad" remakes never happened because they have an audience of their own.

When I was a baby I'd suck so hard, the nipple on my bottle would invert. It's all been downhill since then.