Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archie's Final Project
So I have a feeling that this movie is going to be just totally fucking amazing and brilliant...

It's about this guy, Archie, who is going to kill himself on camera.

Here's the trailer:

I just...I really love this kind of movies. And they started this think about 'I am an Archie'. You make a vid or a little post about why you are an Archie. I feel like many people exploit that just to seek attention, but... Anyways, I can't even put it into words how awesome this movie is going to be.
Today I am going to make a video about why I am an Archie, but I feel like I can't even grasp all my frustrations...which is even more frustrating of course.

Here is their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/ArchiesFinalProject

You can find them on twitter @iAmAnArchie

Please tell me what you guys think. I'm going to make a thread about another movie that deals with something similar, yet very different and that topic is extremely important to me.

I would not be able to watch this at all...

Is this person actually going to kill them self on camera or is it a stunt?

My brother killed himself...I was very angry..I still am. I finally put a bouquet of flowers and a plant on his grave a couple weeks ago for the first time and he shot himself in 2005 so maybe I am starting to let my anger go a bit....

I don't understand suicide...I have thought about how I could help giving advice to anyone considering it and all I come up with is a profound and deep seated rage so I stay silent.

East, I am sorry to hear about your brother. But when someone commits suicide, he is just lost and finds nothing to hold on to in this world...I have contemplated killing myself countless times, sometimes it seems like the only thing worth a go.
No, he isn't actually going to kill himself on camera, it's just a movie about a kid who, as his final project, wants to do it.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:East, I am sorry to hear about your brother. But when someone commits suicide, he is just lost and finds nothing to hold on to in this world...I have contemplated killing myself countless times, sometimes it seems like the only thing worth a go.
No, he isn't actually going to kill himself on camera, it's just a movie about a kid who, as his final project, wants to do it.

Thanks Ryan...I wish I could be sorry about him myself but I am too angry to get there...

I think suicide is not an option because I truly beleive you come right back to do it again in even less desirable circumstances.

I am glad it is just a movie...have you ever seen 'Night Mother? It stars Anne Bancroft and Sissy Spacek? I remember seeing it when it first came out and it was disturbing...I was never really sure what I thought about it at the time but it made me think so that is good. If you like these kinds of movies you should check it out.

I guess I could understand what you mean. Everything's possible. But do tell me, what is there to do when there's nothing to live for, when everyone's given up on you, when the world is against you, when the hurt is eating you up?
It does sound intriguing, indeed, but since the main characters are women, I'd rather not watch it. Thank you for the recommendation though, really!

Everything's possible. But do tell me, what is there to do when there's nothing to live for, when everyone's given up on you, when the world is against you, when the hurt is eating you up?

Damn Ryan! You have challenged me here and normally I would avoid this question so I could avoid my anger at my brother but I know you are sincere in asking this question so I will give it some thought and try to give you a sincere answer.

My thoughts and feelings are similar to East's. I lost 3 close friends in a very short period of time when I was a teenager. I never really forgave them for what they did. You may think that it is the easy way out, but what about what friends and especially family have to endure for the rest of their lives knowing that their loved one needed help and wonder WHY for the rest of their lives, WHY didn't he/she talk to me, I could have helped them.

But then on the other side of the coin, I have been in the position myself where I could have taken my life when I was a teenager, and I can tell you the thoughts that are in your mind leading upto suicide are NOT rational, they are selfish thoughts because for one, if people could see the emotional distress they leave their loved ones in by suicide, they wouldn't do it.

I wish there was a way to reach people with suicidal thoughts, and prevent them from taking their lives, especially when I see and hear of people like East. The greatest trauma is not what leads upto suicide, it the mess that suicide leaves in it's wake.

Life wasn't meant to be easy, it has it's challenges and solving/over coming those challenges is what shapes you as a person, and allows you to prepare for the next challenge. It's often a tough choice to stay on the right track now, but that hard road you travell right now is the road that makes the rest of your life easier.

As for the movie, I would feel extremely uncomfortable watching it knowing that their will be fragile minds watching the same movie. I would prefer to have a movie in documentary style that shows the pain of the ones left behind by suicide.

My thoughts are with you East, I hope you find peace.

Ryan, if you have those thoughts..TALK TO ME Wink

Guys...ugh...why are you making this about suicide? I'm not claiming everyone who's suicidal should go ahead and do it, and this movie isn't about suicide either. I mean, it IS, in a way, but...it's mostly about everything someone different deals with. Here is what Gabriel Sunday, the guy in the main role posted once:

like if ur an Archie. Like if ur pissed off. Like if ur pissed off, but don't know what your pissed off about, but you know ur pissed. like if you can't get away from screens. like if ur obsessed with someone, but can't say it. Like if ur obsessed with urself, but hate it. like if ur over-connected, disconnected. Like if ur disenfranchised with the McFranchising of the universe. like if ur disgusted ur part of it. like if ur comfy in front of this computer, like if u can't move from this computer. like if u wish u never had this computer. like if ur mad. like if ur sad. like if ur happy someone else is saying this... like if ur an Archie, too...

And it tears me up and it pisses me too because I see there are so many people out there who are in a way like me too, but I just can't shake off the feeling that they are posers, fake, attention seekers with washed brains.. especially the women...I have so much to say, but I don't know how, it's like I've pushed it so deep down I no longer can see it myself.

And it IS selfish to take your own life, so WHAT? Sometimes it's the only selfish thing you ever do.

Gosh, Ryan I really don't know where I'm going with this reply. It's really tough for me to even think about this film. At first it kind of slammed me because in a way I'm still raw about my less than stellar past. Then, the trailer haunted me a bit after I watched it the first time.

My first reaction was fear that someone was sensationalizing suicide. Glorifying it? Trivializing it? And, I thought, do these idiots know what they are doing, they could make someone pull the trigger and not give themselves another chance.

But, that trailer is potent and I had another look. I think as a “survivor” of thoughts that now I feel less than proud of but still they are vivid in my head, I did see a bit of myself in that trailer, or that person that I left behind--the person that gave himself another chance.

Sadly, there are so many faces of suicide. And, each story is unique and tragic. Just contemplating it kills a part of you. And, you live with it forever. You are afraid of telling people that love you because you don't want them to see you differently. I do feel some shame. East and dfiant, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can only speak for myself and where my head was. The thing for me, was feeling like I was trapped in a life; a life that revolved around family, religion and school. I was so good --it's so laughable now. I bought into all the fancy words and I was so trusting, naïve and obedient. I believed what I was told, and I did what I was told. Then I started questioning, realizing things about myself and realizing the games going on around me.

It was just all so exhausting and when I try to wrap my head around it now, I wonder how I got to that point. I do think it was partly pride, and partly despair when my old reality tumbled down. It was an option that I didn't see as selfish at the time, but in my mind, I thought it would be easier on those who loved me than the reality they would know if I let them see the real me. I have to say I was never bullied and this doesn't relate to the horrible repercussions of bullying.

Sometimes things happen and you maybe see the hypocrisy of the adults, the teachers, the religious people, the teachings, all the things controlling your life and you can't comprehend it all. And, there is a lot of anger. I'm not blaming anyone, I just think adults underestimate the depth of adolescent thought sometimes; the depth of feelings, and how overwhelmingly contradictory some things appear. (I'm not saying this in a kids are smarter way, I talking about depth of feelings.) It's almost like you lose faith in the adults around you and you realize how alone you are. You don't fit in your life anymore.

In my case, some of it WAS self-imposed; I wouldn't dare trust anyone with the crap inside my head back then. I just couldn't let that part of me be exposed to people that thought I was perfect. But, at the same time, I was screaming for someone to notice and say, I hear you. Its silent screaming and you don't know how to get anyone to hear you. Its deafening inside you're head. And, it's frightening.

As this relates to the movie, the thing that struck me as so realistic is the school scene--when the teacher is asking about his project. That just resonated with me because of how in high school you have these meaningless stupid projects for a class when in your head you are actually struggling with a question of life and death, literally. That's what I think some well-intentioned adults/teachers/professionals might not get. And, a teacher might be, all firm telling you, this is serious for your grade, THIS is important and you kind of just hear those words buzzing by you, and inside you're screaming, YOU have no idea what's important!

Maybe the character, Archie takes the “stupid” project and tries to make meaning of his internal struggles. IDK, I'm just guessing, but maybe it's his way of voicing those silent screams. So, from the trailer, it seems like one of the main characters does indeed die and you see reactions and blame. If it then focuses on the repercussions and the aftermath of a project that gets out of hand, well, maybe this could be something good. Maybe it might make someone pause and give themselves another chance.

Ryan, my reply feels a little disoriented :redface: I'm sorry. I hope it kind of makes sense. I'm really intrigued by the movie now. I think I'd cry a lot through out but I think I could actually watch it now. Thanks for posting it. Confusedmile:

WOW Jake...I struggled with a response since I wrote the above and it was extremely difficult and I didnt' even know if I could do it even now but I wanted to answer the question above as sincerely as I could...and then I read your post and it blew me away. I can feel what you wrote and for the first time in my life I have a picture that has always eluded me so thank you for sharing your story. I have never been able to understand suicide at all or even the thought of it so I am glad to have some kind of reference I can relate to and understand at least....and best of all I have nothing but empathy for you and no anger which is a nice change.

I am so glad you gave yourself a chance and dfiant...I am so sorry for your loss. I understand exactly what you are saying...

Ryan...my response that I kept mulling over always included my spiritual beliefs and I dread preaching to anyone about my spiritual beliefs. I have a really deep spiritual side to me and at one time I would talk about it but only when asked but I got the nickname "Mother Abigail" (from The Stand)....and although initially I didn't know who the f*ck she was as I am not a King reader and I was a little insulted I finally read it and watched it and then I got the reference......I also kept my beliefs to myself mostly after that.

So if I take the spiritual aspect of it out of the equation...the best thing I can come up with is this....

I believe each one of us has "demons" in our head and if you are a sensitive person especially they can become quite destructive...I think the demons are the collective voices and judgements and negativity (and maybe actual demons) ...I think we can build a prison in our mind and sometimes it can be difficult and even seemingly impossible to get out of this prison

Having said that....

But do tell me, what is there to do when there's nothing to live for, when everyone's given up on you, when the world is against you, when the hurt is eating you up?

Without using my spiritual references this is difficult because everything I think of to say sounds condescending because I do not know your pain...but I do know what it is like to overcome impossible odds. All of the adversity and the pain is actually your greatest strength

The one thing I know saved me personally and I know it sounds harsh...you need to find any kind of self pity you are harboring and kick your own ass...get rid of it. If you can't get rid of it you need to step outside of yourself and think about babies who are born addicted to crack...children sold into slavery....there are so many things that you can think about to help you overcome any feelings of self pity and instead turn it into empathy for others. Self pity will kill your soul and your spirit and make you a prisoner in your own body and it may be the worst demon of them all.

The world being against you might be a blessing...it was/is/will be for so many of the greatest human beings who have ever lived...yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I don't know if that answer helps but it is sincere and I wanted to answer your question...I could elaborate in volumes but it would require my spiritual beliefs to play a prominent role.

Now...back to the movie....