Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are most "Christians" this crazy?
So apparently I've made a habit of commenting on news articles / forums and enraging religious fanatics.. as I've been doing it a lot lately -- but I was recently responding to comments on an article about gay marriage, and some of the replies were mind-boggling ignorant and hateful. One in particular got me...

Basically, I was going at it with this guy that kept throwing out Bible verses.. and it eventually got to a point where he asked if I had a belief system (after calling me a "libtard" and insulting my physical appearance, of course). I basically went off, telling him that my belief system was to treat people with respect and tolerance, and that I simply strive to be a decent human being. I also remarked that I believe that every US citizen should have fair and equal rights, and that religion should never be the basis for writing a law that limits others. He then responded with:

"RIGHTS my a--.....you fa--ots want ACCEPTANCE!

I don't accept NASTY, PERVERTED, GOD-LESS, SPINE-LESS, LAZY, WEAK, WHINING FA--OTS!

I think we need to find ALL the AIDS carrying FA--OTS, that REFUSE to disclose their disease, and KILL them to protect the Public Health.

NOBODY wants to be around you NASTY MFs. Bar owners are always throwing FA--OTS out.

You and your DISGUSTING lifestyle WILL NEVER be accepted--NEVER EVER!"

That was surprising (or not), considering earlier in the conversation he labeled himself as a "true Christian", while constantly using Bible verses to support his angst..

Anyway, that was only one comment, but there were others quite similar, many with just as vile insults/mindsets. I wasn't all too bothered... no more than usual (even though I find it hard to understand how/why people think the way he does). It did make me wonder though (and not just this, there are many examples all the time), if most self described Christians think/feel this way? Is the religion itself THAT hateful, and is that REALLY the over-all Christian point of view, or do some simply use the religion as an EXCUSE and reason to justify their hate? I certainly know that not all religious folk' are that intolerant or extreme, yet it still seems to me that the main reason for homophobia = religion. I've never been a fan, nor' have I ever been religious, but I do consider myself spiritual, and coming from that perspective, and as someone who cares about people in general.. I'm always SOMEWHAT taken aback by such hate/ridiculousness...

I know.. long post.. and it may be more of a rant than anything, but thoughts?

Tyrion Wrote:So apparently I've made a habit of commenting on news articles / forums

^^ There's the problem right there. You're on the internet. Sure, a lot of Christians are crazy assholes (though I know plenty who aren't... that's another story) but you won't find many who aren't crazy on the internet. At least that's all I've noticed.

Damn though... this guy is out of his mind. Meh... ignore him. He's not worth it.

I do have one internet friend who is devoutly Christian and he was the first person to help me come to terms with my sexuality with plenty of support towards it. There are still good people out there if you get out of the sewers. The sewers just seem very deep these days...

VileKyle Wrote:^^ There's the problem right there. You're on the internet. Sure, a lot of Christians are crazy assholes (though I know plenty who aren't... that's another story) but you won't find many who aren't crazy on the internet. At least that's all I've noticed.

Damn though... this guy is out of his mind. Meh... ignore him. He's not worth it.

I do have one internet friend who is devoutly Christian and he was the first person to help me come to terms with my sexuality with plenty of support towards it. There are still good people out there if you get out of the sewers. The sewers just seem very deep these days...

True.. the internet is my addiction (or one of them) lol, but even away from that, we have things like Westboro Baptist Church, who you could say (if you really look at the Bible), probably follow it as close as possible, that is, if you take it literally.

Agreed though that the guy is a nut... I've just seen so many I can't help but wonder....

Krupt Wrote:Mean while in Australia and New Zealand

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?ac...x&f=&fg=-1

Take a pick and read the bigotry.

Unfortunately that isn't loading on my browser, but I'm assuming it's something I probably shouldn't read anyway.. given the fact that I can reply to threads/posts like those for hours and get nowhere o.o

Westboro Baptist Church is still part of the sewers :biggrin:

It's just easy to spot the crazies. The rest of them keep to themselves, which is why not many people take notice of them.

As an example you might understand... do you notice everyone who is gay around you? Probably not in enough cases unless they are trying to express it. Some people just blend in and go unnoticed, which leaves them out of the pool of people being judged. The same goes for Christians who aren't trying to express it to everyone they run into.

I don't believe most Christians would identify with the comments made by that clearly disturbed guy you quoted. The internet invites people to be extreme. To be honest I'm getting tired of it, even on this forum.

I wouldn't say there's a relation between being christian and crazy... but I do think there's some sort of correlation between being bigoted and using Christianity as an excuse. But I don't particularly think it means that Christians are bigoted, in fact I think that those who actually believe in the religion - as opposed to either claiming Christianity for face-value, or using it as a weapon against a minority - are extremely nice people, because most of the values imbued in the book make relative sense.

The people with the problem seem to care very little about anything other than the verses they can use to justify their discrimination... they don't seem to obey any of the commandments (they don't seem to love their neighbours for one), and in general they don't feel very christian to me. So I always feel guilty putting them in the same box (metaphorically), because the actual Christians I've met have been lovely. Whereas these "True Christians" tend to be the most grating, offensive people I've ever come across (though thank your-relevant-deity, they're far less common in the UK).

In saying that of course, every person is different - and some are just dicks Laugh I guess we can't have the good without also having to put up with the bad.

Usually, I don't bother integrate with theists, be it debating personal opinion concerning dogma, as they lack logic and reason.

It's like trying to level with schizophrenics who hear color and taste sound.... not worth my time, energy, or concern.

Dreamer Wrote:Usually, I don't bother integrate with theists, be it debating personal opinion concerning dogma, as they lack logic and reason.

It's like trying to level with schizophrenics who hear color and taste sound.... not worse my time, energy, or concern.

Seriously. I try to be open minded, but this is what I'm finding as well. I think the next time I won't even bother.. though I do like hearing other peoples opinions on issues o.O.

Sounds like either a troll, or an actual far right Christian trolling.
No, most aren't that crazy.

I joined a Christian forum almost two years ago, and I post there daily.
Strictly speaking on the subject of homosexuality:
I'd say on average, 20% are bigoted and hateful, 30% are bigoted out of ignorance and may appear hateful, 30% avoid heated issues and remain neutral, and 20% are supportive of homosexuals.
Considering how the site does attract the more conservative Christians, I'd say that's pretty good.