Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you gullible enough to fall for a SCAM?
Maybe you aren't but there are thousands of people who do every year:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-11-worst-...88278.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

i didn't know about the one where they can actually hack your friend's email account and send a message from there. the rest are pretty obvious, of course.

i tend to keep my emails separate anyway. i have a different one that i use on the internet, a different one for work, and a different one for my personal emails. when i start getting spam (and i rarely do, maybe once every 2-3 years or so) i will delete that email account and make another one for the purpose. my personal email is only known to close friends and it hasn't gotten contaminated yet.

the problem with work email is that colleagues/companies tend to be pretty liberal with handing it out (which i hate) sometimes, and i have gotten flagged by a virus/spam that way.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

The number one form of cyberattack isn't some fancy high tech hollywood coding attack.
It's phishing I.E tricking an employee into handing over his credentials.

I found it ironic this link came from Yahoo. They're notorious for their e-mail servers getting hacked. I've gotten spam from every friend & family member (multiple times) who own Yahoo e-mail accounts.

I have 3 e-mails, none through Yahoo, and very few problems.- ever. Practice what you preach, Yahoo!!!!!!

Getting money out of me,, is harder than trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

And,,,,,,, there's not a person on this planet that can talk me into giving them my credit card information or bank account numbers. Unless they are really, really cute & sweet --- in-which-case I'd give them false information in hopes of keeping them interested in me long enough for me to appease my insane desire to admire beautiful young men.

Even those poorly clad folks who stand at street corners with signs saying they are hungry - get nothing from me. I'm not cruel,,,, I'm just wise enough to know that they do this for a living!!

Isn't there a song about "Me And My Money" Or was it "Me And My Monkey"........

Tight Fisted,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Borg69 Wrote:I found it ironic this link came from Yahoo. They're notorious for their e-mail servers getting hacked. I've gotten spam from every friend & family member (multiple times) who own Yahoo e-mail accounts.

I have 3 e-mails, none through Yahoo, and very few problems.- ever. Practice what you preach, Yahoo!!!!!!

they do get hacked, but so do other major email providers. i have one email account on yahoo, has been for years, and it hasn't gotten hacked (but i also have a password the hackers would need a millennia to crack even with the best technology).

otherwise, i agree, yahoo is one of the worst.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Glad to say this isn't my problem, at least it hasn't been for me yet. And I thought it was funny when "Microsoft" called me with an Indian accent barely able to understand English while my Caller ID said the call came from Bellevue, Washington (as if).

Though the Indian scam artists really annoy me because they keep robo-calling and they almost never understand English enough for me to explain that they're wasting their time trying to scam me (I did get one to stop calling by giving the phone to a little boy telling him to do every juvenile thing he want, and it apparently aggravated him enough right back that the calls stopped for a long while).

To my utter amazement, I know of someone who fell for that scam.

As for me, I'm so wary that when I walked into one copy shop I saw so many big, gaudy Christian symbols everywhere that I walked right back out. Not because I figured they were Christian--I'm pretty sure they were not--but that someone going that far to show how trustworthy they are are typically the last people you should trust (and scam artists of all kinds love to push the religion buttons in their victims). A simple cross or Jesus pic in the background wouldn't have bothered me, it was just how much effort they tried to hammer home how Christian, and thus trustworthy, they are, that they went way over the top, so I figured they were trying to get people to lower their guard, and thus I found a different shop.

The advantage of large e-mail providers like Gmail and Yahoo is the large quantity of storage space they provide but I do agree thast they do seem to get spammed maybe more than others. A small trick is to use an e-mail address that is really unusual, so many people use just their first and last names like [email protected] for instance. That makes life simple for SCAMMERS and SPAMMERS since they can just scan the web looking for likely matches. However, if you choose something memorable to you but difficult for them like for instance @**[email protected], that makes life difficult for them. Even GS doesn't recognise that as an e-mail address. The use of symbols such as @, $,%, &,* etc. really throws a spanner in the works.

The same advice goes towards creating a secure password. If you want to see how secure your password is use this:

http://howsecureismypassword.net/

Good passwords are always alphanumeric, i.e., a mixture of letters and numbers and made more difficult still if you substitute some letters for numbers so that and "o" could become a "0", "2" could be used instead of a "z". You get my drift.

My really important passwords, according to this site, would take millions of years for a normal PC to crack.

Pix Wrote:As for me, I'm so wary that when I walked into one copy shop I saw so many big, gaudy Christian symbols everywhere that I walked right back out. Not because I figured they were Christian--I'm pretty sure they were not--but that someone going that far to show how trustworthy they are are typically the last people you should trust (and scam artists of all kinds love to push the religion buttons in their victims). A simple cross or Jesus pic in the background wouldn't have bothered me, it was just how much effort they tried to hammer home how Christian, and thus trustworthy, they are, that they went way over the top, so I figured they were trying to get people to lower their guard, and thus I found a different shop.

I know exactly what you mean. I have received SCAM messages puportedly coming from big banks or oil companies and signed by the Very Reverend Owinga Fatsama. WTF is a man of the church doing on the Board of a bank or oil company?

working in tech I am very conscious of scammers