Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you interested in fonts?
For those interested in typefaces this longish article might interest you:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-3591680...ine_300316
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

That did interest me, thanks. But sort of a strange article in how it was written... the bestiality part was a fun fact. And I was confused by the nod to the NYC subway and Helvetica at the end, that seemed random. But still interesting, especially to discover the parallels of creating a unified signage for the London and NYC subways.

Oh, typefaces! I thought you meant those pedestals full of holy water. Read a book on them once.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Oh, typefaces! I thought you meant those pedestals full of holy water. Read a book on them once.

Different type of font LJay.

Emiliano Wrote:That did interest me, thanks. But sort of a strange article in how it was written... the bestiality part was a fun fact. And I was confused by the nod to the NYC subway and Helvetica at the end, that seemed random. But still interesting, especially to discover the parallels of creating a unified signage for the London and NYC subways.

I knew that it would interest you Emiliano. I saw a programme on TV some time ago about how the signs for British airports had been designed. It's intertesting that almost invariably public signage uses san serif simply because it is easier to read. I know that many people have very strong feelings about the font I use, Comic Sans, but I use it because it is recognised as being very easy to read, especially for those like me, who suffer mild dyslexia

This might interest you also:

http://designworkplan.com/design/airport...ration.htm

LONDONER Wrote:I knew that it would interest you Emiliano. I saw a programme on TV some time ago about how the signs for British airports had been designed. It's intertesting that almost invariably public signage uses san serif simply because it is easier to read. I know that many people have very strong feelings about the font I use, Comic Sans, but I use it because it is recognised as being very easy to read, especially for those like me, who suffer mild dyslexia

This might interest you also:

http://designworkplan.com/design/airport...ration.htm

Yeah Im all about urban design and universal communication, and i have a special interest when it comes to accessibility for people with disabilities. Ive learned a lot about it in terms of the NYC subway, so it was an interesting read to see how things developed in the underground. I have a co-worker at the museum I work for who used to work at the London Transport Museum, and she certainly enjoyed the fact that I dropped on her about Gill being a dog fucker.

The airport stuff is fascinating too, thanks for the link.

For the record, I always liked Comic Sans. Popular hipster hater opinion be damned.

I doubt anyone nerds out as hard on this kind of stuff as I do, but I do know there is a new NYer in the mix [MENTION=23370]Vin[/MENTION].

But anyway, here is a link to an interesting article (and pictures) on the same sort of topic, but having to do with Helvetica and the NYC subway:

http://www.aiga.org/the-mostly-true-stor...ty-subway/

Emiliano Wrote:I doubt anyone nerds out as hard on this kind of stuff as I do

That is a bold statement to make without any statistically significant information to back it up Smile
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[MENTION=23097]Insertnamehere[/MENTION]

I should have thrown a "(in being related specifically to NYC)" in there.

I may not be the biggest nerd in general on here, or even when it comes to design, but when it's related to NYC, especially the subway system, I think what I wrote is a safe bet. But I welcome any challengers. As it totally just gives me an excuse to continue to talk about it.