Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art today
alex85 Wrote:It's obvious for anyone who has eyes to see.Today any idiot can came up with so-called art that doesn't say anything significant but it's given some "deep meanings" and ppl think it's cool cause they can't figure it out but pretend they do when in fact there's nothing to figure out about it.

I totally agree with you about this...

alex85 Wrote:Are you talking about me?

[COLOR="Purple"]and what if I was :tongue:

I was very clear in my first response that ART is very subjective and it seems that there are two camps in this discussion... those who are liberal ART fags and those who are conservative ART fags... if you take being called a conservative ART fag as an insult - sorry bout that.... none was meant... One may find it insulting to be called a liberal ART fag as well Bow [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]marsh, thanks for those links...

having lived in Tokyo I found this part interesting:[/COLOR]
Quote:This resulted in Superflat, the style that Murakami is credited with starting. It developed from Poku, (Pop + otaku). Murakami has written that he aims to represent Poku culture because he expects that animation and otaku might create a new culture. This new culture is a rejuvenation of the contemporary Japanese art scene. In interviews, Murakami has expressed a frustration with the lack of a reliable and sustainable art market in post-war Japan, and the general view of Japanese art as having a low art status. He is quoted as saying that the market is nothing but "a shallow appropriation of Western trends". His first reaction was to make art in non-fine arts media. Then he decided to focus on the market sustainability of art and promote himself first overseas.

[COLOR="Purple"]Not sure how this artist could put himself into the Warhol camp...

One of the great things about Andy Warhol was that he enjoyed the ART game so much... I think he would have found it amusing that his infamous film "Blowjob" would be shown in a museum Lol2

These interviews are very short and a fun intro into the way AWarhol saw his own ar[/COLOR]t:

a couple fun quotes from the wiki page on AWarhol:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coca Cola, Liz Taylor drinks Coca Cola, and just think, you can drink Coca Cola, too. A coke is a coke and no amount of money can get you a better coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the cokes are the same and all the cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."

"Victor… was Andy's ghost pisser on the Oxidations. He would come to the Factory to urinate on canvases that had already been primed with copper-based paint by Andy or Ronnie Cutrone, who was a second ghost pisser, much appreciated by Andy, who said that the vitamin B that Ronnie took made a prettier color when the acid in the urine turned the copper green. Did Andy ever use his own urine? My diary shows that when he first began the series, in December 1977, he did, and there were many others: boys who'd come to lunch and drink too much wine, and find it funny or even flattering to be asked to help Andy 'paint.' Andy always had a little extra bounce in his walk as he led them to his studio…"

I remember reading how excited AWarhol would get when some blue haired elderly woman would get real close to his "Piss" paintings as she wondered what medium was used Remybussi

fjp999 Wrote:One of the great things about Andy Warhol was that he enjoyed the ART game so much... I think he would have found it amusing that his infamous film "Blowjob" would be shown in a museum Lol2

And this kind of stuff is art in you're opinion? WTF :confused:

marshlander Wrote:Sometimes I simply have an emotional reaction to a work of art. Being stirred to anger is as valid a response as liking the look of something.

fredv3b Wrote:Sometimes when I see a 1960s concrete monstrosity I seethe with hatred at what brutalist architects did to our towns, it doesn't make it art.

marshlander Wrote:I might have to think about that a bit more ... :redface: But doesn't the functional nature of 1960s town planning take it out of the realm of art? A bit like those pictures people could buy in Woolworths. They were there to serve a function and fill a space, but hardly amounted to "art". :confused:

My example is not about town planning but about Architecture. Its not about that there is a office building of roughly size X in location Y but that it looks so awful. However that is slightly beside the point, whilst I agree if it fails the stir any emotional response from the viewer then something is not art but that is hardly a sufficient criterion to be art.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Of course, but I've already said as much Wink

All along I've been looking for an opportunity to drop in William Morris' call to have nothing in our houses which we do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful, but I haven't found the opportunity yet ... damn Rolleyes

Again, though, even with individual buildings, how many were conceived as works of art? Works of art may be functional and the functional may possess qualities that suggest art, but sometimes we just need somewhere to live.

marshlander Wrote:All along I've been looking for an opportunity to drop in William Morris' call to have nothing in our houses which we do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful, but I haven't found the opportunity yet ... damn Rolleyes

I'm not generally a fan on Morris but I've always thought he had a very good point there. Such a pity you couldn't find the opportunity to share it with us.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

alex85 Wrote:And this kind of stuff is art in you're opinion? WTF :confused:

[COLOR="Purple"]I guess I have to go back to my original posting on this thread.

Everybody has a different opinion of what is ART.

You still have not defined what you consider art alex...

I can appreciate ART that makes me smile, laugh, cry, feel something... I find something simple such as a blade of grass blowing in the wind ART (or can be inspired by that)...

Yes, art can be anything imho[/COLOR].

Reminds me of a John Cage quote ... "It's all music."