Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashton Kutcher speaks out about gay slurs
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/ashtonkutcher.jpg[/img2]Ashton Kutcher has said using words such as 'fag' is as bad as calling people 'niggers'.

The actor, who used Twitter to get his point across, was responding to another user who called him 'gay' for hurting his hand on a punchbag.

He wrote: "can we just get clear, calling some one 'gay' or 'fag' is as derogatory as calling someone a 'nigger'. U look like an idiot when you do it."

Kutcher is one of the few celebrities whose Twitter account (aplusk) has been verified as his. His wife, Demi Moore, posts as 'mrskutcher'.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

I'm disturbed by all the "n words" I'm seeing on this page.I dont think that these two words carry the same depth of hate and suggesting that is stupid.Ashton is a white immature little man,what does he know about discrimination?

Not sure how you measure a "depth of hate", but I applaud Mr Kutcher for taking this particular stand. I too make a point of challenging the use of any of these words in a derogatory way when I hear them used.

Whether racist or homophobic, language is used to condone and stir up hatred. An early part of that process is often by making abusive terms seem acceptable. I'm not sure the families of Matthew Shepard or Jody Dobrowski would see whatever distinction you are making, Dan.

Maybe its because of my roots and SAn history but quite frankly I find the n word the most offensive slur there is.Its lengthy sinister application and how it instantly dehumanises other human beings infuriates me.Call me a homophobe for thinking that the f word could easily mean fairy when compared to this but thats what I think.I know that I'm more sensitive when it comes to race issues than the next person but shoot me for thinking that peeps should at least be politically correct when talking about it.Andy could have easily put it as "n****r" but he didnt.Dont know about you but I dont want to reading about fucking n_____r when I come to GS.

I do understand that your experience is pretty special and, no doubt, harrowing, Dan. I agree the "n" word carries a lot of baggage and I don't even like to hear it used in music by people of African origin, but for some reason it is seen as acceptable in certain kinds of music.

Any group will come with a tale to tell. Doubtless there are Jews who can tell us all about how names are used to identify, isolate, dehumanise and finally make acceptable the inhumane treatment of others.

Whether these names refer to race, gender, (dis)ability, sexuality or whatever they are unacceptable if they used and/or perceived to be demeaning. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared to talk about it ...?

Thanks for putting that into perspective.Mention race and you know how fired up I get.

Andy Wrote:[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/ashtonkutcher.jpg[/img2]Ashton Kutcher has said using words such as 'fag' is as bad as calling people 'niggers'.

The actor, who used Twitter to get his point across, was responding to another user who called him 'gay' for hurting his hand on a punchbag.

He wrote: "can we just get clear, calling some one 'gay' or 'fag' is as derogatory as calling someone a 'nigger'. U look like an idiot when you do it."

Kutcher is one of the few celebrities whose Twitter account (aplusk) has been verified as his. His wife, Demi Moore, posts as 'mrskutcher'.

KnuddelThank you Andy For posting this I too find both word very offensive but in our society we have to have a thick skin and consider the source.

I see it as hes saying its a bad word full stop, as he has used the word gay and not fag?

hes saying the word gay and fag are the same and both are derogatory term when used towards a straight man.

Gay I see as friendly banter as well as fag, I don't take offense to it unless it was serious attack at sexuality as opposed to the common kidding around which I take it the twitter dude was doing, and ashton's PA said reply with this and you will become popular withing the gay community.

Dont believe everything you read.

Agreed, I don't find the word "gay" offensive at all, in fact I am an openly proud gay man. I must admit though fag is used as a more derogatory term.

He is cute though !!

I don't like fag. I don't like fairy or queer either. I'm just like a straight guy, no different. No one can tell. I'm gay but I ain't no fairy.