Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asians are the most sought after ethnic minority for gay guys
I want this confirmed. I don't consider the racism that Asians get to be valid, since being "feminine" is often encouraged by gays and gay culture, since being feminine is conisdered more attractive by most gays outside the United States, and since historically the majority of Asia's gays have leanded towards being feminine.

The majority of interracial gay couples I see are between Whites and Asians. I consider them to be the most attractive ethnicity myself too. Asian gay culture is the second most active after White gay culture.

You know there is no actual way to confirm this. You can look up statistics, but even those are sketchy in terms of actual results. And I'm sure it's highly dependent on where you look geographically.

I'm glad you said outside America, because here they are pretty much shunned.

Outside America? I have no idea.

Inside America, my experience in the gay community, both here in Seattle and even more so in other cities I've visited, reflects what [MENTION=19889]Radbot42[/MENTION] said. Not that when I was single I wasn't able to find plenty of bed partners, but a lot of those partners want to keep it a secret so they won't be shunned by their friends or made fun of.

Speaking for myself, I find attractive Asian men attractive. Asian is also a huge umbrella term for a very diverse group of people - East Asians, south Asians, Pacific Islanders...

About the mixed relationships, I do see a lot of east Asian men with whites. Usually really attractive men with very unattractive white men. Same with women who date white guys.

On my island, our demographics consist predominantly of Afro-Carib and Amerindian people, both from my island and from others however,:

Azorean
Indian
Filipino

Are the next biggest and influential races, and altogether make up the "half" percentage that contrasts the majourity as aforementioned.

And so I can only go by what I know of Asians here and how they are treated here and to a limited extent of Japan as well.

And judging by the fact that we have half "black" and half Filipino/Indian/Azorean people here:

That goes to show that these types of relations are natural and normal and to me, I've never known a race to be "fetished" in this manner...

Well outside of my going to England, and being targeted for that sole reason;

However; I think many people, especially Americans (no shade), fall for the "hype" and what they see and what they think they know or what should be, based off of very shallow understandings.

Because the world has no choice but to know of America and Americans, but that in turn makes them unable to see the rest of us and the deep idiosyncratic complexities that make us, us and so therefore they go by other sources.

Hence the: "Pretty feminine Asian boy" being docile or meek
Or that all Asians are even this way (Clearly you've never spoken to a Filipino) Sheep

Because that's what you see sometimes, but is rarely ever the case on a normal basis.

And I personally feel that white people are always either seeking:

"Exoticism and colour, but with no Drama" or just the simplicity of their own race.

And as we established, everyone personifies Asians as meek but exotic, so that's what they hope for and go after. And while many Asian cultures by and large do tend to be more polite if contrasted to Americans especially and most other places, but this doesn't count as a rule and is merely a perception.

I've spoken to many Pinoy people, both in their language Tagalog at which I'm fairly limited and in English and across the board; they detest that:

"Oh you're Asian, but so you don't seem... Asian"

Because they're typically loud and sing-songy and at times vulgar.

I think people think all Asians are Japanese and not even all Japanese are polite at all times x.x

I see where you're coming from with this. Most gay Asian guys I see do seem to be so damn cute. And I did go to school with a chinese kid who's first name was pronounced Gayfun.

But there's no way of proving this trend if it exists and it could just be selection bias on your part. Or you maybe you live in an area with alot of asian people.

Sorry for the ambiguous wording there. When I write "Asians", I mean East Asians. When I write "Asia", I mean East Asia (and maybe South Asia).

But I don't consider being stereotyped as "feminine" to be a negative thing in gay culture. Historically, both East Asian and Indian cultures idealized gays as feminine.

Modern-day European and Asian beauty standards also promote femininity in gay people. Being "feminine" is a big part of being "gay". I'd say the same is true in Canada and Australia too.

I don't think the idea of being "feminine" is racist for gays outside the United States. I would think that being "feminine" was the IDEAL for gays.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Outside America? I have no idea.

Inside America, my experience in the gay community, both here in Seattle and even more so in other cities I've visited, reflects what [MENTION=19889]Radbot42[/MENTION] said. Not that when I was single I wasn't able to find plenty of bed partners, but a lot of those partners want to keep it a secret so they won't be shunned by their friends or made fun of.

I don't get why they would be shunned? Who would shun someone because they were dating an Asian person? I can understand someone doing that in Black culture, but in White/Indian/Asian culture?

I'm certain that East Asians are well-stereotyped in nearly every country on earth, except maybe Muslim countries. You'd more likely be shunned for being gay, than for hanging out with an East Asian person.

just checking whether my reply function is working and the post just went to the mods.

I should note that I'm using the terms "masculinity" and "femininity" in the American sense, and I understand that these terms aren't valid outside the USA. Asians means East Asians.

I don't consider the "racism" that East Asians complain about to be valid. Historically, in East Asia and South Asia (a.k.a the Hindu-Buddhist countries), femininity was encouraged and prized as an aspect of being gay.

In Europe (and most non-US anglophone countries), feminine beauty standards are the norm and being feminine is seen as the trendy thing for gays to do. East Asia is arguably far more open about being feminine and less "masculine".

The United States is one of the few countries that actively encourages "masculinity" so strongly.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Outside America? I have no idea.

I don't understand the part about "keeping it a secret". Aren't East Asians respected by most people? I'd consider it a big plus to have an East Asian friend. East Asians are generally stereotyped positively in nearly every country except maybe Muslim countries.