Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astonishing photos from the past
Wow, they are incredible. I am going to save them all to my HD Rolleyes

I admit though, looking at the pictures of the people... it's a bit scary and disturbing. They are all dead, but the pictures look like they were taken yesterday with my lens camera. I don't feel like that while looking at the old, not restored, pictures. The quality of the pictures has made the contrast and the realization of that very real.

I usually don't wonder very much about the life of "faceless" people on the old photographs. With these pictures, it's different.

CakeLuv Wrote:I meant the industries, the boats, everything lol, they didn't thought about destroying the sea... yet Smile

Do you think we're much better now?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNXruYU2RjhzZ93VD-GsI...txxZVlXFLR]

Nick9 Wrote:Wow, they are incredible. I am going to save them all to my HD Rolleyes

I admit though, looking at the pictures of the people... it's a bit scary and disturbing. They are all dead, but the pictures look like they were taken yesterday with my lens camera. I don't feel like that while looking at the old, not restored, pictures. The quality of the pictures has made the contrast and the realization of that very real.

I usually don't wonder very much about the life of "faceless" people on the old photographs. With these pictures, it's different.

Nick, you have to remember that in those days, to take photos meant a really long exposure. To take photos of people they were told not to move. That's why maybe you get rather "dead" expressions.

Just reminds be how pointless life really is. Everything most of these people done in their life is unknown and pretty much forgotten. Aside from a few names, we have no names for most of them.

Their way of life is gone - absolutely positively gone. Sure a few things like the Brookland Bridge still stands, but how they lived, why they lived is gone.

LONDONER Wrote:Nick, you have to remember that in those days, to take photos meant a really long exposure. To take photos of people they were told not to move. That's why maybe you get rather "dead" expressions.

no, that's not what I meant. Bowyn said it better than I managed. It simply shows in very sharp light how "fugacious" and fleeting our life is.

Oh, OK. I misunderstood.

If you're interested you can go directly to the source at http://www.shorpy.com/ where there are thousands more and can be viewed in full size format and with great comments for each photo.

I'm fascinated by anything historical and love seeing old photos of my area.

At the moment I'm working on a project to document as much of my local area as possible. I recently bought a new Bridge Camera and it's a great way to familiarise myself with it's features.
I think I'm also helping others to become more aware of the town they live in and it's cultural identity. People walk past these buildings every day and never really notice them, and then they see someone taking photographs and pay more attention the next time, maybe even make their own enquiries.

Three years ago my local high street looked somewhat different to how it does today. Back then we had Woolworths, now it's a 99p store. So many high street brands have disappeared; HMV, TJ Hughes and a few local businesses.

A few weeks ago I was allowed access to the roof of the tallest building in my Town Centre - 10 Storys high. Amazing what doors a decent camera and tripod can open! I got some fantastic birds-eye views. I felt like the Google Earth satellite! LOL

Some of the people in charge of these buildings are concerned that I will publish or sell the images. I think I would like to donate them to the arcives of the local history library where I live.

I hope to be able to gain access to the tallest building in these parts - if only from the ground but the roof would be great.

If I can figure out how to work the features on this site I'll post some of the pics.

Wish me luck!

We wish you luck. Why would they be worried that yoiu might sell or publish the photos?

Vigilias Wrote:If I can figure out how to work the features on this site I'll post some of the pics.

Go to your "User CP" - upper left corner and choose Album option. You can upload your pictures to an album and then post link to the album or insert link to the picture in your post.

You can also add attachments to your post (directly from your computer)