Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astrology
I love astrology so much.
I used to be skeptical about it in highschool from all the ridiculous horoscopes everyone read in newspapers and magazines.
When I graduated and did some independent studies specifically in astrology I realized that there was a real and exact science to it.
Once I realized how scary accurate everything got the deeper I studied, I have stuck to it since.
I trace my relationships closely through the stars.

I find that some Wiccan and Pagan like religions use the stars in their practice which confuses people to believe that those that believe in astrology are Pagan/Wiccan when in fact it originated outside of any denomination and was used in early christianity as well.
In fact it was used to develop Christianity.

I love astrology for its accuracy in science and for its originality.

In all odds, I will say I believe in astrology.
My other beliefs are specific and do not fit any traditional sect.
[I will make another thread post on my believe in search of opinions on it as well.]

I am... [planet/sign/degree]
Sun/Libra/15.44
Moon/Gemini/21.22
Venus/Libra/9.43
Mercury/Libra/6.14
Mars/Gemini/13.37

wclark03 Wrote:When I graduated and did some independent studies specifically in astrology I realized that there was a real and exact science to it.

I'd be grateful if you could show some scientific evidence as to it's accuracy.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I don't believe it wholeheartedly but I am interested in it...

I was once given an in-depth chart drawn up as a present from a friend, based on where I was born, what time of day, the date etc. It proved to be fairly accurate but it's best to treat these things with a healthy degree of skepticism. Some of the pulp tabloid versions are just appalling and really bring down the tone for any people who do detailed readings. The general nature of some makes me laugh -

"you will come against harsh adversities in life but you will overcome them. Your individualistic nature means you tend to like some people more than others. You will face a difficult decision in the coming months."

all these things that apply to everybody yet nobody... Yet I still read them :redface:

(I am a Virgo, which apparently means I like worrying, being organised, and hen-pecking people; although I am lovely and floaty and caring with boring down to earth qualities... worst starsign ever lol)

fredv3b Wrote:I'd be grateful if you could show some scientific evidence as to it's accuracy.

Evidence wasn't the right word to use.
Scientific Explanations have been made.

There is no doubt a cosmic energy that motivates and drives life. That energy (in my belief) is what people perceive to be "God". [I am not here to say whether it is or isn't.]
My belief is this energy is in constant motion of which makes the world turns (literally) and is the force that sets the entire universe in constant motion.
No one knows why the universe is in constant motion.
Isaac Newton and other acknowledge scientists (including Galileo) acknowledged this.
Of course with every action there is a reaction.
That is where astrology comes in.
We know the moon effects the tides of the waters.
The sun obviously has a major impact on our lives.
These are just obvious things we know from science.
Astrology takes it one step further saying that the stars and the planets can measure the energy and show the effect it has during the specific positioning of each planet.
Because there is an obvious shift in cosmic energy every time there is a shift in planetary movement.
Astrology just documents the times and dates and scientist have found characteristic patterns in people born on such days.
With such characteristics and energy placement, much more is predictable.

The chinese, early europeans, many middle eastern tribes, and even the aztecs (separated for years with no knowledge of the other "world") have recognized the cosmos to be of grave importance.

Don't take my word for it.
Read it for yourself.
There are tons of articles and books with endless information.

"It has been scientifically proved that DNA, which influences a being's physical appearance and personality, is affected by the earth’s electromagnetism, which in turn is affected by the solar wind."

[My apologies. I need a higher post count to post a link. Google the Title of the article and it will come up. Srry for the inconvenience. XP]

Read more at Suite101: How Astrology Works: The Science Behind Astrology
How Astrology Works: The Science Behind Astrology

Sil Wrote:I was once given an in-depth chart drawn up as a present from a friend, based on where I was born, what time of day, the date etc. It proved to be fairly accurate but it's best to treat these things with a healthy degree of skepticism. Some of the pulp tabloid versions are just appalling and really bring down the tone for any people who do detailed readings. The general nature of some makes me laugh -

"you will come against harsh adversities in life but you will overcome them. Your individualistic nature means you tend to like some people more than others. You will face a difficult decision in the coming months."

all these things that apply to everybody yet nobody... Yet I still read them :redface:

The stuff you read in tabloids are just silly fun. Any body that takes them seriously makes a mockery of Astrology. Whatever floats their boat I guess. =P
I personally stick to ones written by scientists and astrologers.
I do like the humor that some books and magazines have in horoscopes.
The Darkside of the Zodiac is a hilarious, wonderful, and accurate book.

Esthandior Wrote:. .what about virgo ?
i love being a virgo. . it's the only sign that has female symbol, . . hehe
though i'm not a virgin anymore
LOL

Virgo isn't necessarily meant to imply that all virgos are "virgins".
The most common characteristic in a Virgo is their modesty.
Although, depending on the planet alignment, their modesty could manifest in different ways than others. Sometimes it is more noticeable than others. =P

I certainly dont' have any scientific evidence to support my beleif in astrology but I can tell you this.

I am drawn to Aries men and been with one now for almost 25 years and I am one of the people who are happy with my love life and pretty much always been happy with it and I am friends with my exes...I am not bitter at all and for that I am grateful ...had one bad relationship...the only time I wasn't with an AriesConfusedmile:....... but I was glad I had it because I learned alot from it.

I didn't know alot about astrology til this one customer of mine did my chart and he was a professional astrologer and quite an intellect as well...taught at Stanford...he was right on and I thought it was funny to learn my best match was....an Aries. So...I think that I have either been lucky OR astrology has merit.

I am a Leo...Scorpio rising and Cancer moon and pretty much all my planets are in Leo...have three trines in my chart too.

wclark03 Wrote:Evidence wasn't the right word to use.
Scientific Explanations have been made.

I deliberately chose the word evidence, because that is what I meant. I am much less interested in how Astrology works than whether it does.

My question remains, can you show any scientific evidence of the accuracy of astrological prediction?
Fred

I'll take the lack of reply as a no.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:I'll take the lack of reply as a no.

It is a belief and there is never scientific evidence to support belief despite "true believers" of any belief system's attempts to justify their beliefs...when there is scientific evidence it becomes fact....I know the question was not directed at me but I thought you deserved an answerConfusedmile:

I think all criticism of astrology by non believers is justified myself...I absolutely feel justified questioning the virgin birth...the burning bush...and Adam and Steve :biggrin: ...err...I mean Adam and EveWink ...the 76 virgins awaiting your arrival in heaven...uh....yeah...Astrosmiley2