Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At last, a practical use for Coca Cola
I forgot to add that if you leave a tooth or a piece of bone in Coke overnight, the next moring it will have been disolved. So, think what it's doing to your body.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:http://www.flixxy.com/coca-cola-rust-removal.htm

If it can do this, can you imagine what it's doing to your stomach?

Its doing nothing to your stomach.

The acids in your stomach are stronger and more corrosive than the acids in all of the stuff you eat and or drink.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Its doing nothing to your stomach.

The acids in your stomach are stronger and more corrosive than the acids in all of the stuff you eat and or drink.

It's still not doing your body good though.

Hmm. In moderation I doubt it does any harm.

LONDONER Wrote:I forgot to add that if you leave a tooth or a piece of bone in Coke overnight, the next moring it will have been disolved. So, think what it's doing to your body.

But you're not putting it directly into your bones, Mr...haha.....

sugar and caffeine and water are what gets to the blood, and the acidity (based on the carbon dioxide dissolved) just goes away as gas...and then, buffering mechanisms in the red blood cells and the kidney (mostly controling phosphate and carbonate concentrations in the blood) take care of any possibility of metabolic acidosis....

nope, the thing to worry about Coke and any soft drink, is the amount of sugar and the incidence of type II diabetes (at least that's why I avoid them)

At pH =5,0 - 6,0 drinks are hardly more acid than the stomach full of HCl pH = 2,0

Vinegar (5% Acetic Acid) is much more acid too, pH= 3,0 - 4,0

That being said, it is indeed the acidity of these solutions which makes up for "disolving" capabilities...rust is simply iron oxide or other transition metals oxidized...transition metals are always soluble in acid solutions, so yep, they will take care of rust..

Coke indeed cleans it very well, and so does vinegar (and I think that's cheaper)

bones are made off mineralized osteoblast cells...the mineral in question is Calcium Phosphate...one of the most insoluble salts there is..indeed, much like transition metals, alkaline metals such as Calcium are very soluble in acid solutions.

That's why I need to take care, cause I do work with some very strong and very volatile acids like Trifluoroacetic Acid (the type of acid that makes a hole in your flesh in a few seconds) and if I inhale trace amounts over the years, I will get weaked bones..

Anyway, kids, class dismissed....

(sorry this was long)

thanks for the info Londoner!

I have used Coke to clean brass fixtures before..

lol, I haven't had Coke in years, and have quit soda's altogether at the
beginning of the year.

It's weird, my skin has become smoother ever since and I have little
to no break out's anymore...

Well that's another practicle use for Coca-cola.

The most important use is to slake my thirst, and give me sugar go-go!

I've been drinking it most of my life, sometimes up to 2L in a day, and I don't have any health / tummy problems.

Nothing wrong with the stuff. Beats the crap out of alchahol

southbiochem Wrote:But you're not putting it directly into your bones, Mr...haha.....

sugar and caffeine and water are what gets to the blood, and the acidity (based on the carbon dioxide dissolved) just goes away as gas...and then, buffering mechanisms in the red blood cells and the kidney (mostly controling phosphate and carbonate concentrations in the blood) take care of any possibility of metabolic acidosis....

nope, the thing to worry about Coke and any soft drink, is the amount of sugar and the inciedence of type II diabetes (at least that's why I avoid them)

At pH =5,0 - 6,0 drinks are hardly more acid than the stomach full of HCl pH = 2,0

Vinegar (5% Acetic Acid) is much more acid too, pH= 3,0 - 4,0

That being said, it is indeed the acidity of these solutions which makes up for "dissolving" capabilities...rust is simply iron oxide or other transition metals oxidized...transtition metals are always soluble in acid solutions, so yep, they will take care of rust..

Coke indeed cleans it very well, and so does vinegar (and I think thta's cheaper)

bones are made off mineralized osteoblast cells...the mineral in question is Calcium Phosphate...one of the most insoluble salts there is..indeed, much like transtition metals, alkaline metals such as Calcium are very soluble in acid solutions.

That's why I need to take care, cause I do work with some very strong and very volatile acids like Trifluoroacetic Acid (the type of acid that make a hole in your flesh in a few seconds) and if I inhale trace amounts over the years, I will get weaked bones..

Anyway, kids, class dismissed....

(sorry this was long)

OMG I just fell in love with your brain.

As an aside, I have used cola to burn through rusty hinges and other metal work that has a thickish layer of rust. I also pour a half can over the car battery posts which eats away at the acid build up stuff better than baking soda and water.

Follow up with a thorough rinsing and an oiling and metal is pretty much good to go.

Vinegar: one can drop an egg (whole egg, in its shell) into vinegar and let it sit over night and the shell softens. Soak a chicken or turkey bone a few days and it becomes bendable...

We don't hear everyone who eats pickled foods falling apart....

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Vinegar: one can drop an egg (whole egg, in its shell) into vinegar and let it sit over night and the shell softens. Soak a chicken or turkey bone a few days and it becomes bendable...

We don't hear everyone who eats pickled foods falling apart....

On the other hand, I have never heard of anyone drinking two litres of vinegar a day.