Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what age did you know you were gay?
But... Can someone please tell me how playing with dolls relates to being gay? Because I always thought that this was a cliche, spreaded by straight people. So it's not?

Lol, I have been "ninjad" Smile)
I owe you a beer Smile

Ekwarph Wrote:Do you think the fact you played with dolls is related with the fact you're gay now? It's a serious question. I know that hetero case.

No sis, I played with dolls cause I am gay, they didn't make me that way lol.

I just never felt "guy-like" or wanted to do guy like things, even though I am a guy and do not wish to be a woman. Like, I am proud to look even remotely female-ish, but do not want to be a woman or wear make-up or any of that, despite my avatar pic lol.

I suppose I want to be like my mother in a sense, cause she's my role model, and is the best one eva! <3

Hmm. I was a sheltered child, I didn't actually understand what "gay" was until grade 9ish. Anything gay was banned from my father's home.

Oddly, From grade 6 to grade 9 I had feelings for a friend, and he had them back for me. Neither of us really understood what they meant, and over time I think he realised he was bi-sexual rather than gay, and he said quote on quote, "You know how awhile ago, some people thought I was gay? I'm not. Like, I like gay people and stuff, I think some of my friends don't like them though, like [insert a random friend], but I think it's okay to be gay, but I'm not. Haha.".

So whatever. No big deal. I cried myself to sleep for like a week. I began to actually understand in grade 9 that I wasn't like everyone else, but I would try to have a normal relationship. I thought that if I went out with a girl that I would "become" normal.

But that didn't work. 1blue1

In grade 10 I accepted AND UNDERSTOOD, finally, that I was gay. I educated myself using Wipe Out Homophobia on Facebook as to what sexuality and everything was. I love that page Mushy.

In a way, I'm a little bit jealous of people who knew when they were like 10. I knew I was different, but I didn't understand for ages, and it caused some problems in my youth. Had I been raised by my mom, things would have been different.

You have an opportunity as a parent to help your son along, to make sure he doesn't have to go through the slow process of coming to terms with himself alone. You can get him into groups of people that think like him (if he's a nerd, he'll fit well into nerdish things, and meet great friends, and BONUS, nerds don't tend to get too involved in the drug scene Smile ).

Now, I'm going to address some of your concerns I sincerely believe that homosexuality impacts personality, and that one of the things many homosexual persons experience is that many of us shrug off gender roles. Some homosexual men are very feminine, a lot have done girlish things, a lot aren't into sports. Some of the exact same men grow up and go into the army. Some don't. But it doesn't mean your son will want to turn into a girl. Remember: Gender and sexuality are very unrelated, people who change genders don't usually change their interested in at the same time. A lot of men that become girls become lesbians, and in other countries, gender swapping is regarded as a cure to homosexuality! Being gay does NOT mean being a female Xyxthumbs .

Personally, when I was young, I used to want to be a girl, I thought they had easier lives! I think I was so wrong, today I'm very happy to be male. Things change, and your son's experience isn't unhealthy. His willingness to try all sorts of things right in front of you means he is comfortable around his parents, and that's something you should be so so proud of.

If you have questions, pages like this are always around for you. Hopefully you can come back and get to know some of us, and get insight into your son... although to be honest, you're doing a good job already. You care, that's like parenting rule one. Smile.

Kumawool Wrote:Hmm. I was a sheltered child, I didn't actually understand what "gay" was until grade 9ish. Anything gay was banned from my father's home.

Oddly, From grade 6 to grade 9 I had feelings for a friend, and he had them back for me. Neither of us really understood what they meant, and over time I think he realised he was bi-sexual rather than gay, and he said quote on quote, "You know how awhile ago, some people thought I was gay? I'm not. Like, I like gay people and stuff, I think some of my friends don't like them though, like [insert a random friend], but I think it's okay to be gay, but I'm not. Haha.".

So whatever. No big deal. I cried myself to sleep for like a week. I began to actually understand in grade 9 that I wasn't like everyone else, but I would try to have a normal relationship. I thought that if I went out with a girl that I would "become" normal.

But that didn't work. 1blue1

In grade 10 I accepted AND UNDERSTOOD, finally, that I was gay. I educated myself using Wipe Out Homophobia on Facebook as to what sexuality and everything was. I love that page Mushy.

In a way, I'm a little bit jealous of people who knew when they were like 10. I knew I was different, but I didn't understand for ages, and it caused some problems in my youth. Had I been raised by my mom, things would have been different.

You have an opportunity as a parent to help your son along, to make sure he doesn't have to go through the slow process of coming to terms with himself alone. You can get him into groups of people that think like him (if he's a nerd, he'll fit well into nerdish things, and meet great friends, and BONUS, nerds don't tend to get too involved in the drug scene Smile ).

Now, I'm going to address some of your concerns I sincerely believe that homosexuality impacts personality, and that one of the things many homosexual persons experience is that many of us shrug off gender roles. Some homosexual men are very feminine, a lot have done girlish things, a lot aren't into sports. Some of the exact same men grow up and go into the army. Some don't. But it doesn't mean your son will want to turn into a girl. Remember: Gender and sexuality are very unrelated, people who change genders don't usually change their interested in at the same time Xyxthumbs .

Personally, when I was young, I used to want to be a girl, I thought they had easier lives! I think I was so wrong, today I'm very happy to be male. Things change, and your son's experience isn't unhealthy. His willingness to try all sorts of things right in front of you means he is comfortable around his parents, and that's something you should be so so proud of.

If you have questions, pages like this are always around for you. Hopefully you can come back and get to know some of us, and get insight into your son... although to be honest, you're doing a good job already. You care, that's like parenting rule one. Smile.

Excellently articulated Sis!

Now it's time for me to enlist in the army(...well regiment here lol) and take my dolls and glitter, cause the gay lord knows Imma need them with all those Men running about.

Cause Gurl.

QueenOdi Wrote:Excellently articulated Sis!

Now it's time for me to enlist in the army(...well regiment here lol) and take my dolls and glitter, cause the gay lord knows Imma need them with all those Men running about.

Cause Gurl.

OMG I actually laugh so hard at your posts Biggrinflip

Ive never been "gay", Ive never been "straight", Ive just always been me.

Ive always preferred being around men, ever since I can remember, which was about 3 years old.

I never even knew I was different or that it had a name until I was about 13 years old.
Nobody in my family ever treated me any different than anyone else in the family.
Nobody ever said anything about how I walked, talked, or acted. I never had any issues in school with this.
All the friends Ive had in my life have never acted or treated me any differently.

Ive just always been me.

People like me for me, or they can take a long walk off a short cliff.

[COLOR="Purple"]Wow. What a cool mom! Wish my mom had reacted that way.

In first grade I would kiss the other boys as they came into class and had my first crush on a boy at 8. But it all seemed so normal to me. Me and my friends even "played around" at about 10. They didn't turn out gay though. It was jr. high before I figured things out.Twister

As far as dressing like girls. I never had the desire to do that. Just the opposite really. I enjoyed being a boy, now a man, and I never understood why anyone would want to dress as a girl. Until I met people who did of course. Then I understood it.[/COLOR]

I preferred my G. I. Joes and cars just like my other friends. I never have acted "gay" as some would call it.

Kumawool Wrote:OMG I actually laugh so hard at your posts Biggrinflip

You say that as if you had a choice not to lol.

People say I say funny stuff, but I don't think I do Undecided I just say what my beautiful locs tell me to :-3, cause you know they run the show Sis!

Daisy gurl, don't let your son be like me, cause he'll have these boys trippin and falling heels over head like nobodies business and ain't no body got time to inflate no air matress to catch'em :-P. Just messin missus <3