Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/Agnostic
Hi everyone,

Just want to ask you guys. Will guys who are agnostic/atheists be willing to have a relationship with a guy who has religious beliefs, but has respect for his partner's atheist/agnostic belief?

Sry if my question sounds dumb =P

bluedragon Wrote:Hi everyone,

Just want to ask you guys. Will guys who are agnostic/atheists be willing to have a relationship with a guy who has religious beliefs, but has respect for his partner's atheist/agnostic belief?

Sry if my question sounds dumb =P

Sure, I'd even drive you to church... As long respect is in I don't see the problem with it. I'm a long lasting atheist - but a very thorough Atheist who have been studying the bible, Qu'ran and many other religious doctrines and denominations, yet I don't mind if someone is religious as long as they understand that we'll never agree as per god existence and that he knows when to thank a doctor for the work he/she has been doing when someone was sick way before thanking god. And of course I don't want to hear anything about god guiding their hands LOL.

Most agnostic doesn't mind religious people because they are actually sitting on a fence, they are suspicious, but they go for the Pascal's wager on god's beliefs. Most atheists doesn't mind religious people either, it all depends what you believe. Per example is you believe that Noah build a boat to carry over 500 species of animal couples on a shady boat or that a man had survived in the belly of a whale or that snake speak, donkey talks, then I have a problem with it. If you believe that extraordinary story of adam and eve I also have a problem with it... why adam and eve... why not Adam and Steve lol

Sure, I would, unless there protestant, that just won't mix well at all with my Irish side in me :biggrin:

I'm sure this is an issue that is specific to the individual. The only common denominator between all atheists is rejection of the claims of god(s). Other than that, we're all quite different. I can tell you from my own perspective that I would never consider dating a believer. I have nothing good to say about religion, and have a basic contempt for those who believe in the objective reality of a supernatural creator being. For me, a relationship with someone who subscribed to that worldview would be doomed from the start.

I agree with Swalter, it's specific to every individual.

Personally, I'm agnostic and I would have no problem dating someone with religious beliefs as long as there's no pressure for me to convert, and as long as it doesn't trigger unwanted changes in my/our lifestyle.

There is no harm in asking, at some point in the relationship, if one's beliefs will be an obstacle for the relationship. Ask the person, talk about it calmly, listen to one another. If it's not an obstacle, or a compromise can be made, then it's great. If not, it's no one's fault, you're apparently just not compatible enough and you'll both be better off with someone else.

Well, absolutely, but I can imagine that many problems might present themselves. If the guy relied heavily on religious morality to condemn things like abortion and pre-marital sex as sins, we would be really incompatible. If his religious views were adapted and modern, then that would be fine.

While I have a faith (currently in crises but still lingers) I have discovered that there are two routes that a mixed religion household can go.

1. Everyone tends to their own knitting and respects God/Allah/Deity/The Great Spaghetti Monster in their own mind and via private observation and everyone else is happy.

2. One attempts to convert the other to wearing Pasta Sieves or Crosses or making prayers and sacrifices to whatever deity they cling too. This never ends well.

I would date an atheist only if they were not a militant atheist bound and determined to 'show me the light of reason'. Agnostics are ok, they don't have a strong opinion and are not firmly set in either the God Camp or the No God Camp thus usually tend to sit on their laurels and let bygones be bygone.

This is of course a two way street. Most Atheists would date a person of faith as long as that person of faith is not bound and determined to convert their potential partner to their faith.

Incidentally most atheists are really well studied on various holy scripture. Their issue is not so much the notion of a god in existence, their issue surrounds the contradictory and often wrong interpretation of those scripture to use and abuse the nature of faith/deity.

But then looking at how many wars were started in the name of God/Allah/Zeus and all of the other names of deity and other not so nice things it stands to reasons that the followers are often incredibly evil.

Not a problem with the caveat that if you don't want me talking about my atheism don't talk to me about your religion.

I'm agnostic but I have to be honest, when I like a guy his religion doesn't even cross my mind. Honestly I really don't care, unless say he's a Mormon missionary and he has to keep our relationship a secret from his whole family then yeah, that wouldn't be worth it.

FYI (not to derail the thread), the words 'atheist' and 'agnostic' refer to two different concepts, and are not mutually exclusive. - theism refers to beliefs whereas - gnosticism refers to knowledge.

Most atheists are "agnostic atheist" meaning they don't believe the claims of god, but don't know for a fact no gods exist (eg. "I don't believe in God, but don't know for sure"). This is the most intellectually sound position because while expressing disbelief in the god claims, it acknowledges and leaves room for new evidence to potentially modify the position.

On the other side is the staunch religious adherents who adopt the "gnostic theist" position; the most intellectually bankrupt position. This position represents one who believes a god (or gods) exists, and claims objective knowledge that such a god exists (eg. "I believe in God, and know for a fact that God exists"). This position is not rationally tenable because a claim of objective knowledge requires objective, falsifiable evidence (ie. empirical proof). And if there was objective, falsifiable evidence of the existence of a god, the debate would be over and there would be no more atheists.
[Image: Agnostic+v+Gnostic+v+Atheist+v+Theist.png]