Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/Agnostic
swalter Wrote:I didn't pose any question to you; this isn't my thread. And I also haven't claimed any knowledge. I base my reference to "nonsense" generally, as a description of any and every theistic belief that isn't supported by empirical evidence. Your insistence on painting me as a "know it all" is completely dishonest, and further evidence of your willful ignorance and animosity for those who won't facilitate your delusions, whatever they may be.

I don't think it is dishonest at all...I think it is accurate. You actually remind me of the religious zealots....just the other side of the coin.

If I am wrong...I can live with it.

East Wrote:If I am wrong...I can live with it.
I suspect you've had to live with a lot of mistakes, so I guess one more is no big deal.

swalter Wrote:I suspect you've had to live with a lot of mistakes, so I guess one more is no big deal.

swalter, I generally like you and your posts, but when it comes to bashing someone's religion, you need to learn to relax.

Just like you have the right not to believe in any religion, they have the right to believe in it.

Religion isn't based on fact, it's based on faith. We get that you have no faith in any religion, and that's fine. But there's no reason to be rude to those who do.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

WTF? I didn't bash anyone. But in a thread about theistic matters, I'm going to voice my opinion and don't have any intention of censoring myself. When someone makes a religious thread, and someone else chimes in with hostile, fallacious remarks about those of us who value reason over faith, I'm going to say my peace. If people don't want divisive, heated comments, they shouldn't post divisive, heated topics of discussion.

swalter Wrote:WTF? I didn't bash anyone. But in a thread about theistic matters, I'm going to voice my opinion and don't have any intention of censoring myself. When someone makes a religious thread, and someone else chimes in with hostile, fallacious remarks about those of us who value reason over faith, I'm going to say my peace. If people don't want divisive, heated comments, they shouldn't post divisive, heated topics of discussion.

swalter Wrote:At least have the decency to be honest.

swalter Wrote:Your insistence on painting me as a "know it all" is completely dishonest, and further evidence of your willful ignorance and animosity for those who won't facilitate your delusions, whatever they may be.

swalter Wrote:I suspect you've had to live with a lot of mistakes, so I guess one more is no big deal.

You've twice called him dishonest, said he was ignorant, and insinuated his life is full of mistakes. I would say that's rude.

Don't give a fuck. Look at his side of the messages where he persistently spews dishonesty and inflammatory presumptions about atheists. I have never initiated talk about religion here. But when self-important d-bags make ignorant, hateful remarks about atheists, I'm completely within my right to correct and call them out. And that's exactly what East did. Don't like it, or don't want to see my comments? Block me. But don't sit there and tell me That have to keep my mouth shut and play nice with someone whose entire commentary consists malevolence and disinformation.

swalter Wrote:Don't give a fuck. Look at his side of the messages where he persistently spews dishonesty and inflammatory presumptions about atheists. I have never initiated talk about religion here. But when self-important d-bags make ignorant, hateful remarks about atheists, I'm completely within my right to correct and call them out. And that's exactly what East did. Don't like it, or don't want to see my comments? Block me. But don't sit there and tell me That have to keep my mouth shut and play nice with someone whose entire commentary consists malevolence and disinformation.

Since you like to look at facts, let's look at them.

#1. Show me where in my posts I said you shouldn't respond. All I said was you needed to tone down the attitude.

#2. East's initial post had no hateful remarks about atheists. He said he wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who was on the extreme on both sides of this discussion, not someone who is an avowed atheist, and not someone who is a religious extremist. Your direct reply to him was:

Quote:You don't look for evidence if you've already made up your mind that your magic book has all the answers. I suspect that you just don't like hearing inconvenient facts that put whatever nonsense you believe in question. At least have the decency to be honest.

your reply was to call him close-minded and dishonest, and that's when the back and forth started.

As for East saying hateful things, I haven't seen him call you ignorant, dishonest or to be living a life full of mistakes, that's what you said about him.

You are absolutely right ...I do make a lot of mistakes.

I haven't made a mistake about you though. You have been aggressive and hostile...both times I have spoken with you.

[COLOR="Purple"]You both can just drop it, you do not benefit from it, at all.

As for the question in this case, well... I've dated religious people and I never cared too much about it (I'm agnostic btw) because for one they never shoved it down my throat, they would ocasionally say that "God is kind." or something like that, and that faith helped them cope with many negative emotions they had such has extreme worry and fear.

All in all it depends on how religious the person is, if they're nice people overall and they share the same seat as you (despite holding their own ideologies) then they're tolerable and pretty comfortable to hang around. At the end of the day I doubt your God would want harm to your partner for not being religious anyway.
[/COLOR]

Faith doesn't need evidence. It's more related to intuition than it is to logic or science and can be defined as:

"Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

I personally don't understand why people would believe in something like a God without evidence, but that's just where I differ from religious people. The lack of evidence can't really be properly used against religious people in a spiritual debate however; since their self-proclaimed faith doesn't refer to neither evidence nor rationality. For whatever reason, they've chosen a particular faith, and that has to be accepted.

Admittedly, religious people sometimes make me uncomfortable due to some personal bad experiences and the fact that most traditional spiritualities have homophobic and misogynist aspects to them. But people whose views are compatible with civilized society and who still follow a certain religion need to be respected. That doesn't mean you have to date them if you don't want to.