Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/Agnostic
Religion is butt. Please keep it to yourself in public. I'll let you know if I want to see it. And please don't force it on children.

I consider myself spiritual. I was raised in the Catholic religion and still carry a few of those beliefs with me.

However, I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents who taught me it is OK to question authority, including priests, so I never really blindly accepted what the religious leaders taught me.

My parents also taught me that all religions are to be respected, and that there is no 'one true' religion.

I don't attend any specific church, but speak to God when I need to in my heart.

As for dating someone who is religious, that's not a problem as long as they don't expect me to start suddenly attending church. They would also have to realize that I like humor that can be seen as blasphemous, and I am not trying to mock religion when I resort to that.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

swalter Wrote:I'm sure this is an issue that is specific to the individual. The only common denominator between all atheists is rejection of the claims of god(s). Other than that, we're all quite different. I can tell you from my own perspective that I would never consider dating a believer. I have nothing good to say about religion, and have a basic contempt for those who believe in the objective reality of a supernatural creator being. For me, a relationship with someone who subscribed to that worldview would be doomed from the start.
It's the same for me, in theory.
But being an atheist (oh, actually I don't consider myself an atheist cause it's only a label. Everyone, human or animal was born atheist.) the religious belief is definitely not one of the first things I would talk with someone hehe, so maybe I could fall in love with someone before knowing of her/him belief, cause maybe she/he's not a bigot or someone who goes at the church etc.
Also, I know some things (which I dislike) about catholic church, but there are many other religions out there, so I cannot deny respect before knowing 'why you're near Buddhism etc'.

I don't think this is the best for me, but honestly if I'm in love I can accept this thing, like I accept my religious friends.

MY OPININON I don't want to offend:
And to be honest I will be more happy to accept a 'pagan or and hind' than an 'agnostic'. I don't believe in 'agnosticism', I read many things about it but for me is an hypocritical position 'I don't belive in a god but maybe there's a god...' LOL, so you believe in the gods, but you have some reason to be an hypocritical... XD
Or maybe you're only a lazy who doesn't want to think about it and take a position...

Deplore atheism, love the atheist.

I don't think I could have a long-term relationship with somebody who truely believes in god(s). I say that without ever being faced with it though, so I could be wrong.

It's not a dumb question at all,it's been on my mind for some time as well. I'd stick with the 1st situation BA mentioned if I have a relationship with a non-Muslim,be it atheist or theist of other religions.

I wouldn't involve myself with someone who did not have a spiritual nature and was an avowed atheist...nor would I involve myself with someone who was a religious extremist.

People who have "all the answers" and "know the truth" for everyone else turn me off. I would not be compatible with them in a relationship.

East Wrote:I wouldn't involve myself with someone who did not have a spiritual nature and was an avowed atheist...nor would I involve myself with someone who was a religious extremist.
Why do you think people who acknowledge the utter lack of evidence for any god claims "know it all"? To the contrary, atheists who maintain their position on the basis of no evidence are the ones who don't claim to have the answers. You don't look for evidence if you've already made up your mind that your magic book has all the answers. I suspect that you just don't like hearing inconvenient facts that put whatever nonsense you believe in question. At least have the decency to be honest.

swalter Wrote:Why do you think people who acknowledge the utter lack of evidence for any god claims "know it all"? To the contrary, atheists who maintain their position on the basis of no evidence are the ones who don't claim to have the answers. You don't look for evidence if you've already made up your mind that your magic book has all the answers. I suspect that you just don't like hearing inconvenient facts that put whatever nonsense you believe in question. At least have the decency to be honest.

You poised a question to me...and then went on to answer it yourself. You are an example of what I was referring to.

You assume that you "know" what I believe is nonsense and claim not to "know it all"?

East Wrote:You poised a question to me...and then went on to answer it yourself. You are an example of what I was referring to.

You assume that you "know" what I believe is nonsense and claim not to "know it all"?
I didn't pose any question to you; this isn't my thread. And I also haven't claimed any knowledge. I base my reference to "nonsense" generally, as a description of any and every theistic belief that isn't supported by empirical evidence. Your insistence on painting me as a "know it all" is completely dishonest, and further evidence of your willful ignorance and animosity for those who won't facilitate your delusions, whatever they may be.