Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist singing a Christian song?
I'm an atheist, but I have to audition for a community theatre play by singing. I used to be a Christian and I loved this song (and still do) Anyway, if nobody even cares what my religious preferences are, would it be appropriate to sing this song? I love it, but it IS a Christian song. Would this be hypocritical of me or am I overreacting? :frown:

Well... Im gay and atheist but im working for church atm.

I used to do a whole bunch of carol singing. Yep, I did it for the money :biggrin:

I think you are overreacting. I'm pagan but, even just by myself, I have one Japneese Christian song I sing and, a couple of English ones. This is my favorite video for one of them.

Why not sing one of the Inspirational Atheist Songs out there?

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=370

Personally, if a person desires to conform to some standard they set for themselves they should stick with it. You set this standard on yourself... if you truly believe you are right, then why bother with anything remotely Christian?

It seems ethically wrong to lean on part of the Church and Religion when a person is a self-proclaimed atheist. It feels like one is setting a double standard.

I find it interesting how people can slam Christianity then easily/readily part-take of 'Christian' things. Its kind of like a 'straight guy' who beats up gays then secretly runs off to get a blow job from a gay guy...

One needs to set a standard of ethics in their life and stick to it.

I would also be down on a Christian who claims Christianity and attends Church once a week then spends the other 6 days being a heathen. It is unethical.

writerken Wrote:I used to do a whole bunch of carol singing. Yep, I did it for the money :biggrin:

Same!!!!

Christmas is amazing, what ever your religion!

For me as a pagan it is allowed to use parts of other religions if I think they are useful... and I think same works for atheists... if you think you like a part of a religion.. like christmas... songs... whatever... it is Ok... that does not mean that you have to change your religion ( my opinion is that atheism is a kind of religion )

Quote:I find it interesting how people can slam Christianity then easily/readily part-take of 'Christian' things. Its kind of like a 'straight guy' who beats up gays then secretly runs off to get a blow job from a gay guy...

I think it is more like being gay and watching a straight romantic comedy. You are not hurting anyone, you are not compromising your ideals, you are not voting Republican!

We get it; you are atheist, you believe strongly in your ideals, but FFS, get over it! Stop being a slave to your ideologies. Stop turning your atheism in to a religion with things you may not do to be a good atheist. For when you ask the question "would it be appropriate to sing this song?", you ARE being a hypocrite.

See, I don't slam Christianity, or any faith or spirituality (well okay some aspects of some really need to get lost- for good) but, I belive what one of the elders of my tribe (Native American) told me.

If one honestly believes, in his heart, that a thing is true, right and good, then that thing is tru, right and, good for that man. It does not mean it is good, right and true for any other man, but it is for that one.

I have no problem with Christianity, it paralelles my own truths in many ways. And besides, good music is good music.

Now if you feel Christianity is all wrong, no good, etc.. then, by all means avoid even the songs.

As someone who works academically with 17th and 18th century literature, I would have a lot less to work with if I had to discard any religiously inspired literature. A song has aesthetic worth apart from any ethical or moral convictions it contains. Moreover, it is quite possible to agree with, or merely appreciate, certain religious sentiments without believing in the objective reality of God.