Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aussie pop star: I'm gay!
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/callea.jpg[/img2]Australian pop singer and former Australian Idol contestant Anthony Callea has come out of the closet, after being accidentally outed by a Sydney radio host earlier this month.

"Yes, I am gay," Callea told News Limited on Monday.

His sexuality has been the subject of much speculation, especially since he denied being gay in 2004 and insisted, "I'm not gay. I don't know why people say I am. A lot of people just make up rubbish."

Callea, now 24, revealed that he is now comfortable with himself and wanted to end the rumours.

"I have no issue with my sexuality now but it has taken time to become confident with who I am and happy with who I am," he said.

"I'm looking forward to living a life with no holds barred and not worrying about having to say the right thing."

Callea's confirmation of his sexuality follows an on-air conversation on Sydney radio station on March 6, 2007, when a traffic reporter nonchalantly mentioned that Callea is gay.

Callea admitted that he regretted not coming out earlier, but felt pressure to hide his sexuality, especially during Australian Idol.

"You learn from your mistakes. I was 21, 22 at the time," he said. "I didn't want to be known as just the gay contestant from Idol.

He also discussed how growing up gay in an Italian family was difficult.

"I went through a major depression. I hated myself. I had to see a psychologist. I wasn't talking to anyone. My parents didn't know what was wrong with me," he said.

"But getting through that makes you a stronger person. It allows me to do what I'm doing now and not be affected by what's said."

Callea currently holds the record for being the highest-selling single and fastest-selling single in Australia for his debut single The Prayer.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Kinda cute Grlaugh