Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia - How Good Is It?
Australians make some rather nice artisan beers.

Counselor Wrote:If I order an adult beverage composed of hops and don't use the word "Foster's", will I still get a beer?

Even if you order a Foster's in Australia you won't get a Foster's, you'll probably end up being served a real beer.

If Australians call a barbecue the "barbie", what do they call the iconic female doll by Mattel?

Both barbies. It's very hard to get the two confused in conversation. For example, "let's have a barbie tonight" or, "I'm gunna go grab some snags for the barbie" can't really be confused with the doll.

Is it true that in the US they call both a movie theatre and a stage show theatres both just theatre? In Aus a place of movies is called a cinema. And if you are seeing a big stage show or musical or something it's a theatre. If someone says I'm going to the theatre in the US how would anyone know if it was movie or stage?

It's true that the 2 go by the same name but I don't recall there ever being any confusion. Normally Americans say something like, "I'm going to the movies" or "Let's go see a movie" so that it's not a problem. If they do use "theater" for cinema (though "cinema" is also used) then it's usually said plural, I presume because each movie is a theater, and since the vast majority of cinemas show multiple movies at the same time the word is "theaters" (like "at the theaters"). It's also possible that it's said plural because multiple cinemas are playing it so it's "playing at theaters" means it's playing at most to all of them, whereas a play is likely to be shown at only one theater (at least locally).

Ah I get ya. Yeah that makes sense, the theatres vs single theatre thing. It would seem strange for me to call a cinema a theatre.

Counselor Wrote:If Australians call a barbecue the "barbie", what do they call the iconic female doll by Mattel?

If a girl says 'Barbie' it means the doll.

If a bloke says 'Barbie' it means a BBQ

Aussie blokes don't talk about dolls.

The thing is, Americans have no culture so we don't see stage shows or read books or anything. Theatre is for the fucking Avengers.

Crouton Wrote:Both barbies. It's very hard to get the two confused in conversation. For example, "let's have a barbie tonight" or, "I'm gunna go grab some snags for the barbie" can't really be confused with the doll.

Is it true that in the US they call both a movie theatre and a stage show theatres both just theatre? In Aus a place of movies is called a cinema. And if you are seeing a big stage show or musical or something it's a theatre. If someone says I'm going to the theatre in the US how would anyone know if it was movie or stage?

If it's a film, I call it a movie. If it's a live stage production, I call it a show... But I did my fair share of local theatre, so my vocabulary is a bit fux0r-ed. In this area, most people call carbonated soft drinks "pop", but I call it soda.

I had another silly Australia question, but I can't remember it... It was a good one, too...

^^^Yes, in amurka we are quite divided about what we call our carbonated beverages. In my 21+ years of being alive I have yet to hear someone refer to it as "pop". It's always been "soda" or the brand name (coke/pepsi whatever).

What was this thread about again? :p