Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autism Speaks is [partially] garbage
their advocacy is great for low functioning Autistics... But not for people on the "higher" end of the spectrum like me.

If you want to donate to them, that's fine. I know that Autism is incurable because it is a difference in the way a brain processes information. Donating won't do a damn thing.

While its not currently curable, it may be treatable in some manner. Further more a lot of scientists still think that environmental factors may have a huge impact on frequency (number of individuals who get it) and how hard they are it with it.

Autism has a big 'I Don't Know' attached to it when it comes to causes. If the cause is environmental, we need to know to make changes in our environment.

And considering all the things that used to be incurable that are, I think its way to early in this particular disorder to say its incurable. We don't know even know what causes it - so how can we jump off the deep end and 'give up' and declare it incurable?

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:While its not currently curable, it may be treatable in some manner. Further more a lot of scientists still think that environmental factors may have a huge impact on frequency (number of individuals who get it) and how hard they are it with it.

Autism has a big 'I Don't Know' attached to it when it comes to causes. If the cause is environmental, we need to know to make changes in our environment.

And considering all the things that used to be incurable that are, I think its way to early in this particular disorder to say its incurable. We don't know even know what causes it - so how can we jump off the deep end and 'give up' and declare it incurable?

Similar conditions, such as ADHD, are caused by partially abnormal brain development.

Also, if yo read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_Speaks you discover they aren't just looking for a cure, they are looking for a cause.

and they are trying to fight the rumor mill which insists that vaccination is the cause.

if you don't believe how hard that is, I strongly suggest you to go Godlikeproductions and them what causes Autism.

Oh, and if you do that I strongly suggest you do not bring up that you are the spectrum - or you will see the other ugly aspect of why Autism Speaks is asking for money - to fight the ignorance and viciousness that surrounds the whole matter.

okay, but the fact still stands that Autism Speak's approach to high functioning Autism is not that effective.

Arkansota Wrote:Similar conditions, such as ADHD, are caused by partially abnormal brain development.

Yes and what is causing that abnormal development?

What if there is just something that we use day to day, some back ground thing in nearly every home. What if we discover that that affects fetal development.

We stopped using lead in everything, and asbestos and lots of other interesting chemicals because we discovered that those things were unsafe.

What if we discover that something like that is around and we just simply clean it up?

No one knows the cause. There is a lot of certainty that Autism ADHD and a lot of other disorders are on the rise in the population. If its true we need to find out why.

Arkansota Wrote:okay, but the fact still stands that Autism Speak's approach to high functioning Autism is not that effective.

Ok I just spent the last two hours researching what this Autism Speak foundation is doing and is not doing.

Honestly I don't know there the problem is here. Appearantly other than their not dealing with high functioning autism you think they are great? Or did I miss something?

In fact I am puzzled why you would make such a statement when there is more that you could have focused on to slam this group:
Quote:There are various reasons, many of which involve where their money goes, the stances they take regarding issues that are important to autistic people, their outright refusal to have autistic adults on their board of directors (autistic people do not even have a token presence in Autism Speaks's leadership), their continual use of pity advertising, their unreproducable facts and figures, and their insistence that autism is universally tragic and that autistic people should not exist (their insistence on "curing" autism, which can only be done if a prenatal test is designed to facilitate the decision of whether or not to abort the fetus). Luckily, there are other organizations that are more favorable to the autistic community, though that's for another article.

More of the same here: http://www.examiner.com/article/why-auti...ism-speaks

I'm uncertain where your thoughts lie on these other questions.

Are these statements True/False? Or are these unimportant because they do not directly impact you??? IDK

https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=what+doe...+the+money will take you on an interesting journey here.

Frankly, I think I would have been more willing to agree with you had you pointed out the eugenics program. While I personally like the idea of eugenics in general and in theory.... Well this particular 'abort the fetus' form annoys me - I prefer the 'I have a genetically linked disorder and now opt to not have children' Mind individual educated choice BEFORE conception.

Perhaps if you pointed out that only 4% reaches the charitable side (family grants) of of this organization more people would agree with you? http://autisticadvocacy.org/wp-content/u..._Flyer.pdf

I think you picked the right group for an ass planning, however you are an ineffectual ass-planner since you didn't follow up with a serious reading of their laundry list of issues.

Next time you decide to plane a group, I strongly suggest a little research and get some juicy links.

I'm grading you on a curve (Awww Teach, don't do that!) so you only get a C-... right group, but ineffectual planning. Xyxthumbs

Arkansota Wrote:their advocacy is great for low functioning Autistics... But not for people on the "higher" end of the spectrum like me.

If you want to donate to them, that's fine. I know that Autism is incurable because it is a difference in the way a brain processes information. Donating won't do a damn thing.

thank you - i often ask myself why certain charitys ask for money when i cant see what it can possibly do, some things are just human issues and can only be changed by how humans behave not by throwing money at it.

like for example an advert showing a small child being mis-treated, the voiceover says "give just £2 a month to help children like this"

HOW THE HELL CAN MY MONEY SPOT WHEN A CHILD IS BEING HURT, NO it will make NO difference to that child in that situation, he just needs to be found and taken away, so when you hear a child has died after 15 social workey visits and a saftey assesment and etc etc but still died after being thrown down a stairwell I ASK what my money WOULD DO

Arkansota Wrote:Similar conditions, such as ADHD, are caused by partially abnormal brain development.

an excuse to act like an idiot... how many really have it and how many people need a good spank from there mother... instead of encouraging the idea its something wired into them.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:No one knows the cause. There is a lot of certainty that Autism ADHD and a lot of other disorders are on the rise in the population. If its true we need to find out why.
Are they on the rise, or are we just better at identifying it?

partis Wrote:an excuse to act like an idiot... how many really have it and how many people need a good spank from there mother... instead of encouraging the idea its something wired into them.

I take offense to this.