Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palestine and terrorism
Thaught I would write a thread on palestine as there seems to be a common misconception by the media and others that palestine is a recognised terrorist state. To say this is like saying that all englishmen wear bowler hats. My Dad travels to stay in the occupied territories of palestine every year and the following is based on the information he has brought back and shared with me. Many religions and cultures have shared the land of Israel(I will call it that for now not to be contentious) for centuries. Zionism as a political theory(A homeland exclusive for jews) grew in the 19th century supported by the colonial masters of europe, who also saw Palestine as a key powerbase in the region.
Now Isreal is the fourth largest military power in the world and recieves two thirds of foriegn aid from the US (most of it for arms). If any country is driving its neighbours into the sea it is Israel. After Gaza chose Hamas in the last years election in protest at the corruption of the palastinions authority fatah goverment, Israel tightened its grip on the one and a half million civilians trapped in Gaza. Surrounded by Isreali checkpoints, starved by its yearlong blockaid of food, fuel and medical supplies, Gaza then suffered bombardment by air and sea (With no effective way to defend itself). 4000 civilians died( A third of them children) and 13 Isrealis(10 by friendly fire). 60% of palestinion farmland was destroyed.
The majority of palestinions want to live like everybody else, in peace with their neighbours. And most parties agree with Israels right to exist.. Hamas (since being in power) has not denied Israels right to exist. But exteremists in the Israeli government do not recognise the right of indigienous palestinions to farm, work and travel in thier own land. To see how starbucks and others play a role in the oppression of palestine see my thread on the "multinationals" comming soon.

Sparky,

In general I am in rough agreement with you. However ...

sparky71 Wrote:Thaught I would write a thread on palestine as there seems to be a common misconception by the media and others that palestine is a recognised terrorist state. To say this is like saying that all englishmen wear bowler hats.

Palestine is not recognised as a state. However it plainly is the base of operations for a substantial number of terrorists. The Palestinian authorities such as they are have so for lacked the ability and/or will to control their activities. However it should be noted that by accident or design the Israelis have kept the Palestinian authorities weak.

sparky71 Wrote:Now Isreal is the fourth largest military power in the world and recieves two thirds of foriegn aid from the US (most of it for arms). If any country is driving its neighbours into the sea it is Israel.

Are you sure Israel is quite such a large Military power? The top 3 are obviously the US, Russia and China. That would mean that Israel is more powerful than us or the French! However Israel is militarily very powerful for its small size including nuclear weapons. Israel is however surrounded by Arab nations who have historically been hostile to it, so it is not surprising that it fears it may be driven into the sea and is ready and able to do whatever it sees necessary to prevent that.

sparky71 Wrote:The majority of palestinions want to live like everybody else, in peace with their neighbours. And most parties agree with Israels right to exist.. Hamas (since being in power) has not denied Israels right to exist. But exteremists in the Israeli government do not recognise the right of indigienous palestinions to farm, work and travel in thier own land.

Living in peace with the state of Israel means recognising some defined borders of Israel (e.g. pre-1967). However a substantial minority of Palistinians wish to return to the homes (remains of) and lands of their families prior to the creation of modern Israel. Since Israeli families live their now such a return would make a mockery of and 'right' of Israel to exist. Peace between Israel and the Palistininians requires agreement of the borders, which means many Palistinians giving up their claim to something they hold very dear for the 'greater good' of Palestine. I'm sad to say that I don't realistically see that happening anytime soon.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.