Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Away from life
I have this urge and feeling i want to be away from the structure of life, like join a hippe commune and be near nature and well away from the crap of day to day life (yeah i am away of the pro's of normal day to day life too)

Anyone else got anything this would like in this sense?

Northlad Wrote:I have this urge and feeling i want to be away from the structure of life, like join a hippe commune and be near nature and well away from the crap of day to day life (yeah i am away of the pro's of normal day to day life too)

Anyone else got anything this would like in this sense?

Errr no, not exacly. I'm pretty content the way my life is at the moment and the only thing that would make me happier would be if I won trillions on the lottery so I could help lots of people who are worse off than I.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

There are a lot of communes here in the United States. I read a story on them a couple months back,,, and they still have problems within their small social settings.

You usually just trade one set of problems for another set of problems that are equally unpleasant when you try to escape the day to day crap where you presently live.

When I first retired,, my husband and I moved deep into the countryside. You had to travel 5 miles on a dirt road just to reach us!!! We had no neighbors close by and could run around naked and never be seen. We had no computer and only got 1 English speaking channel on TV. After 6 years of living out there,,, I realized that solitude wasn't what I really wanted and we moved back to a more populated area. What I learned from this 6 year experience, is that Life,,, no matter where you live,,,, will have its challenges.

Ex-Hermit,
JIm
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:There are a lot of communes here in the United States. I read a story on them a couple months back,,, and they still have problems within their small social settings.

You usually just trade one set of problems for another set of problems that are equally unpleasant when you try to escape the day to day crap where you presently live.

When I first retired,, my husband and I moved deep into the countryside. You had to travel 5 miles on a dirt road just to reach us!!! We had no neighbors close by and could run around naked and never be seen. We had no computer and only got 1 English speaking channel on TV. After 6 years of living out there,,, I realized that solitude wasn't what I really wanted and we moved back to a more populated area. What I learned from this 6 year experience, is that Life,,, no matter where you live,,,, will have its challenges.

Ex-Hermit,
JIm

Insightful !! thankyou

I have spent a lot of time at intentional communities around the US. I've never lived at one but over the years have spent months at them. For me this was perfect, to get a taste of it without having to live it 24/365.

Living in an intentional community is very different from isolated homesteading.

Northlad, I think it would be great for you to check some out. It would put you into a circle of people with varied perspectives. The good ones have something they are working towards. It could be natural building, organic food production, some spiritual pursuit, permaculture, or all of the above at once. I sense you need to shakeup your life a bit, and this is surely one way to do it.

My sense is that the intentional communities with a defined structure tend to work better than the anarchically based communities. The best model I ever saw was one where everyone had to work 30 hours a week, everyone had to have a daily spiritual practice of their own choice, and no one could live there more than 7 years in a row. This structure ensured the community was not full of lazy freeloaders and that no one could become the entrenched oligarch.

I certainly have seen people use intentional communities as sanctuaries to get their lives back in order. One of the first things you learn in these communities is that you've just packed up all your issues and moved them to a new location. The strategy of running away from life by joining a commune just plain doesn't work.

You're still the same person when you arrive, but if you work at it you can leave changed for the better. The most successful people in intentional communities go there because they have something to accomplish. You learn a lot about working and living with others. You could also learn about whatever is the focus of the particular community you visit.

Well yes I fantasies about going to live in the remote Scottish highlands. But i'm well aware my city slicker self wouldn't survive the first Scottish winter.

See also, Thoreau, H. D.,
I bid NO Trump!

Quite often I get this feeling. I don't think I would want to go away for ever, but a year out somewhere away from everything would be good Smile

It'd be cool but you'd still have to get up and do stuff. It'd be nice to be in a half-coma for a while. You drift in and out of consciousness so you can appreciate being asleep most of the time.

Camfer Wrote:I have spent a lot of time at intentional communities around the US. I've never lived at one but over the years have spent months at them. For me this was perfect, to get a taste of it without having to live it 24/365.

Living in an intentional community is very different from isolated homesteading.

Northlad, I think it would be great for you to check some out. It would put you into a circle of people with varied perspectives. The good ones have something they are working towards. It could be natural building, organic food production, some spiritual pursuit, permaculture, or all of the above at once. I sense you need to shakeup your life a bit, and this is surely one way to do it.

My sense is that the intentional communities with a defined structure tend to work better than the anarchically based communities. The best model I ever saw was one where everyone had to work 30 hours a week, everyone had to have a daily spiritual practice of their own choice, and no one could live there more than 7 years in a row. This structure ensured the community was not full of lazy freeloaders and that no one could become the entrenched oligarch.

I certainly have seen people use intentional communities as sanctuaries to get their lives back in order. One of the first things you learn in these communities is that you've just packed up all your issues and moved them to a new location. The strategy of running away from life by joining a commune just plain doesn't work.

You're still the same person when you arrive, but if you work at it you can leave changed for the better. The most successful people in intentional communities go there because they have something to accomplish. You learn a lot about working and living with others. You could also learn about whatever is the focus of the particular community you visit.

Eating-grapes I appreciate that