Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome courses.
I thought this could be a thread for students who have taken, are taking, or will take an exceptionally awesome course in whatever.

I decided to start this because next year I am going to take a course in ancient homosexuality :biggrin: Here is the course description:

[B]Homosexuality in Ancient Greece and Rome
[SIZE=3]The purpose of this course is to examine attitudes toward homosexuality in Greek and Roman culture using ancient sources. An examination of artistic evidence (vase- and wall-painting, statuary, and everyday objects) will be combined with a close reading of literary evidence on this topic, some in the original Latin. We will try to answer the following questions. To what extent was ‘homosexuality’ recognized as such in ancient cultures? What were the terms used to describe or indicate homosexual contact? What was the difference between ‘homosexual’ and ‘homosocial?’ To what extent were those who practiced homosexuality considered to be apart from the mainstream of society? To what extent was sexual object-choice in antiquity related to distinctions of class and education? Did the Greeks and Romans make any moral pronouncements about some forms of same-sex lovemaking? Students will also be asked to evaluate the validity of various modern theoretical claims about ancient homosexuality by comparison with the actual evidence of primary texts.
[/B][/SIZE]

Now that really does sound interesting!! A fair while ago now, I'd seen a documentary about homosexuality in those times. I wish I could remember more about it tho! Sad

I'm off on a Self-Defence Course this weekend for gay guys and gals. For UK Londoners, the GMFA has quite a few gay-related courses... from assertiveness to sex... usually free and held over weekends. Just book yourself on, confirm you're going after receiving an email and away you go.

that sounds like a great course. When I was going to college the best course I took out of all of them was the EMT course.

:eek: u have such courses?
super cool...wish my country would be as open as urs...(sigh~)

Indeed!!! that is a course i would love to take:biggrin:

Xrimo , maybe you ll become a gay activist after that ,and a super famous writer of course!!!

I saw a course on offer:

ATTITUDES TO HOMOSEXUALITY IN FAIRYTALES

In our course directory but it was an SML course so I did not sign myself up for it. Plus I'm not very keen on literature... so yeah!

It's nice to see topics on it at uni though :biggrin:

Smurlos Wrote:I saw a course on offer:

ATTITUDES TO HOMOSEXUALITY IN FAIRYTALES

In our course directory but it was an SML course so I did not sign myself up for it. Plus I'm not very keen on literature... so yeah!

It's nice to see topics on it at uni though :biggrin:

Both courses sound interesting but, although I can see where they'd get the evidence for the first course about Roman and Greek attitudes to homosexuality, I really don't see what evidence could be used for homosexuality in Fairytales...

The only analogies I can think of are the fact of calling "gays" fairies, sometimes, and the Prince in pantomimes being played by a woman, which, in my book, would make the main couple a couple of Lesbians in real life, albeit not in stage portrayal...

I honestly don't think I can think of a fairytale that revolves around same-sex attractions, but maybe that would be the beauty of the course... unless it was a bit far-fetched.

Ermmmm... , come to think of it... , Hans Christian Andersen, who was said to be gay, wrote some beautiful stories, which, I hear, could be revisited with a gay slant (ie the Little Mermaid). Maybe that's what the course was referring to.

PS What's an SML (something in Modern Literature?)

princealbertofb Wrote:Both courses sound interesting but, although I can see where they'd get the evidence for the first course about Roman and Greek attitudes to homosexuality, I really don't see what evidence could be used for homosexuality in Fairytales...

The only analogies I can think of are the fact of calling "gays" fairies, sometimes, and the Prince in pantomimes being played by a woman, which, in my book, would make the main couple a couple of Lesbians in real life, albeit not in stage portrayal...

I honestly don't think I can think of a fairytale that revolves around same-sex attractions, but maybe that would be the beauty of the course... unless it was a bit far-fetched.

Ermmmm... , come to think of it... , Hans Christian Andersen, who was said to be gay, wrote some beautiful stories, which, I hear, could be revisited with a gay slant (ie the Little Mermaid). Maybe that's what the course was referring to.

PS What's an SML (something in Modern Literature?)

Don't forget, not all fairytales are well know Confusedmile:
Just because you don't know of any, doesn't mean they can't possibly exist; there must be some that exist or else they wouldn't have made a course about it :biggrin:

What an erudite crowd on these discussion boards!

First we encounter "Advanced Sudanese Sex Language" now we have "Homosexuality in Ancient Greece and Rome" AND "Attitudes to Homosexuality In Fairy Tales"! Amazing.

Btw, Xrimo, I had a moment's anxiety when you said you were going to take a course in ancient homosexuality. I thought you might have been referring to Albert and me :eek:

marshlander Wrote:What an erudite crowd on these discussion boards!

First we encounter "Advanced Sudanese Sex Language" now we have "Homosexuality in Ancient Greece and Rome" AND "Attitudes to Homosexuality In Fairy Tales"! Amazing.

Btw, Xrimo, I had a moment's anxiety when you said you were going to take a course in ancient homosexuality. I thought you might have been referring to Albert and me :eek:

How DARE you call me ancient, Marshmallow!!! Or Marsh mellow? Wink
(Fully functional still) PA