Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Azealia Banks controvery
I'm not sure if this topic has already been brought up, but it's apparently been generating some buzz. I had no idea who Azealia Banks was until I heard about the controversial things she's said recently. Apparently, despite her being openly bisexual, the LGBT community is rather upset with her because of her constant use of the word faggot and a few other homophobic remarks she's made. I read two articles on it:
Here - http://www.gossipcop.com/azealia-banks-f...us-listen/
And here - http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/...y_men.html

But that's about all I know, I was just wondering what everyone else thought about her. I think one thing I can agree with is that I never understood or liked how it's okay to use misogynistic words like bitch, but faggot is completely unacceptable. Bitch is most often used toward women with negative or aggressive connotations, but society lets it pass. Why? I really don't like either word at all.

With everything else though, I can't really say I'm on her side. It kinda just sounds like she's got serious beef with white people and men whether they're gay or straight. I could be wrong though, I know very little about her.

She is a vile little piece of work.

If she had talent, all might be forgiven.

Maybe she's a bad witch.

Not all lesbians like gays, and not all gays like lesbians.

I'm not going to read up on her, as I have no reason to. She's a non-interest, and non-news.

I have not had problems getting along with lesbians, but I have only met a few of them who are man-haters.

Pish posh.

And agreed on "bitch." Gay men should stop using it and pretending it is hip to assume it as a moniker. It's inherently degrading to women, just like the term "nymphomaniac." What would the male equal be? There is not one for either term.

She has a good point about the word 'bitch'. I didn't particularly like when she said that, as a woman, she 'owns' gay male culture. For one thing, gay and effeminate aren't interchangeable.

himself Wrote:She has a good point about the word 'bitch'. I didn't particularly like when she said that, as a woman, she 'owns' gay male culture. For one thing, gay and effeminate aren't interchangeable.

I don't mean that as an insult against effeminate people. I am one, myself. In terms of mannerisms, anyway. I don't go around wearing a Kylie Minogue T-shirt, but I see no problem with that.

She's done some pretty nice provocation in the past regarding white supremacy.

My problem with her is not her offensive manner of speaking ("twittering" might be a better word..), but that she's basically a kind of a cultural separatist. In her world a white person cannot do hip-hop and a man cannot act effeminate because that's vile cultural appropriation. It's not an illogical thing to say considering that blacks and women have been and are marginalized in various ways. But this kind of pigeonholing is a very bad way to build coalitions between oppressed groups.

Aike Wrote:In her world a white person cannot do hip-hop and a man cannot act effeminate because that's vile cultural appropriation.

That I definitely disagree with. What about trans women? Are they a problem to her too? And in general, what's wrong with another group of people enjoying what you do and wanting to do the same or take inspiration from it?

I think she is a ass. Any point she might have is lost in her delivery.

Although I don't like the word bitch, maybe it's more accepted because it seems like the word can also be used in a positive sense too. Like, when someone calls a girl or the girl calls herself a "sexy bitch" or "bad bitch". Those terms are usually used as compliments to women who're particularly strong willed and won't take shit from anyone or something like that. But as for faggot...I don't think I've ever heard faggot used in a positive way at all. It's always an insult in some way, even in the gay community.