Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpacking! Need some tips!
Okay, so in maybe 8 or 9 days I'm going backpacking over Europe! I'll be gone for 25 days and we're going to Amsterdam, Prague, Brussels, Paris and Berlin!

In my obsession to make this the most memorable and fun thing in my life I've been working on this list of fun things to do in every city. I was thinking that making a forum post might be helpful! Here you can recommend anything from cultural sights like monuments, galleries, museums etc. or nice bars/clubs, just general tourist-y stuff or anything you think might be worthwhile!

Wanna help me out? Big Grin

Hi Humble..
About what to see and where to go, I can't help much.

But, about backpacking I can offer plenty advice. but then I first need to know what your trip overview is

Are you tenting / backpacking / hostel backpacking, / hotel backpacking or are you staying at friends?

Are you alone / part of a group
Have you got hiking / backpacking gear? are you still going to get.

Are you going to tote your backpack or are you going to use motorized transport (hitch-hiking ETC)

Uncle duckkie

Oh okay! I think we have it pretty figured out, but I guess if you have some input that might be good, sure. Thanks!

We were supposed to be 5 friends backpacking together, but there was a break-up in the group and now we're 3 guys who've known each other since we were around 6-7. We're hostel backpacking and we'll get around by simply walking as much as possible. For longer distances we'll use public transportation or (in cities where it's cheap, like Berlin) taxi Smile

Mostly we want to cut expenses though and I have made a personal budget of 50 euros per day.

I would get on line and go for articles on 'how to eat cheaply in x city'. I have seen som guides to street food that could be very handy when you are on a budget.

Also, check into Eurorail passes and trains in general.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:I would get on line and go for articles on 'how to eat cheaply in x city'. I have seen som guides to street food that could be very handy when you are on a budget.

Also, check into Eurorail passes and trains in general.

Thanks for the food tip! We're already using Eurorail Big Grin

HumbleTangerine Wrote:Thanks for the food tip! We're already using Eurorail Big Grin

Wow! I got a shock when I came in to give advice on backpacking since I do it quite a bit..... but.... I wasn't expecting the cultural difference. Laugh2

Suggestions here for backpacking would have been to carry pepper spray and an air horn for bears cougars and other animals..... bug repellant .... gloves for climbing over rocks, ..... a warm lightweight waterproof hooded jacket in case temps drop close to freezing.... a gps in case you need it.... and a full color illustrated book on the plants that are edible... Laugh2

Th be honest your idea of backpacking sounds like it would be great fun in comparison to the way we do it! Nose-pick

memechose Wrote:Wow! I got a shock when I came in to give advice on backpacking since I do it quite a bit..... but.... I wasn't expecting the cultural difference. Laugh2

Suggestions here for backpacking would have been to carry pepper spray and an air horn for bears cougars and other animals..... bug repellant .... gloves for climbing over rocks, ..... a warm lightweight waterproof hooded jacket in case temps drop close to freezing.... a gps in case you need it.... and a full color illustrated book on the plants that are edible... Laugh2

Th be honest your idea of backpacking sounds like it would be great fun in comparison to the way we do it! Nose-pick

Oh, no, I'm sure it can be really fun to backpack in more "campy" ways to, like exploring the wilderness and setting up your own tent etc.

On this trip, however, we're mostly looking to explore the cities. This includes everything from museums, monuments, art galleries, exhibitions to clubs, bars, concerts etc. Smile

Oddly enough, even for wilderness backpacking, I tell folks that they should consider carrying a compact umbrella. If you end up in rain, it is great to keep you and the pack relatively dry andyou don't end up getting steamed the way you do with a poncho.
I bid NO Trump!

Memechose, When I first say this thread title, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Go and get a copy of The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher and memorize it." I know where you are coming from. Wilderness backpacking is wonderful stuff!
I bid NO Trump!

Go to Disneyland whilst in Paris, it's really easy to get to!

Also it's free admission into the Lourve if you're a citizen of an EU country, same with going up Notre Dame tower, so many sure you take your passport with you.