Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpacking
[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], you are right asbout eing careful not to over exert yourself. But I think you should keep doing small hike by way of acclimitization and then you will be ready for fall.

As for deet, you could try dabbing it on you clothes instead of your skin. You are right. It is icky.

Have you read about the use of hot peppers to deal with cramping. I saw an article on google news the other day. Apparently athletes are now using them. Very interesting. Peppers can be light and would easily snug into your pack. A great way liven up camp food, too!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-way-to...1468256588

https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation/...uscle-cram
I bid NO Trump!

30% DEET might be better for you than 98% deet. You may need to reapply after 3 - 6 hours at the lower concentrations. DEET is a solvent and can dissolve not only the print on the bottle, but also many synthetic fabrics! Nylon and DEET don't mix, for example.

When I used to rock climb in the mountains outside Montreal, the local folklore was don't eat bananas when camping as the mosquitoes are attracted to the scent. Bananas aren't backpacking food at all, since they squish, but dried banana is found in some trail mixes.

Camfer Wrote:30% DEET might be better for you than 98% deet. You may need to reapply after 3 - 6 hours at the lower concentrations. DEET is a solvent and can dissolve not only the print on the bottle, but also many synthetic fabrics! Nylon and DEET don't mix, for example.

When I used to rock climb in the mountains outside Montreal, the local folklore was don't eat bananas when camping as the mosquitoes are attracted to the scent. Bananas aren't backpacking food at all, since they squish, but dried banana is found in some trail mixes.

That is good to know, not the bananas, but the deet and nylon. I never thought of bananas as being something I would bring with me camping, but good to know anyway, in case someone gets the bright idea of doing so.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

If you don't bring bananas how do you that Girl Scout thing with them?

No! Not that!

The stupid thing with putting marshmallows and chocolate in them and putting them over the campfire to become a sticky mess.

Come to think of it, bananas are not good for backpacking at all, are they?
I bid NO Trump!

S'mores are awesome but you become a sticky mess and an attractant for bears. Best left for the backyard or a more popular campground...car camping, etc.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!