Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad news about published psychology studies
This was something the cute jerk I'm married to was involved in exposing before he came to the US in December. It's finally made world news. There's a huge divide in the field of psychology between those who actually practice and know most of the published shit is shit with those in academia and "research" who teach the shit as being the shit.

There will be more news related to this coming out soon. many of the psychiatrists worldwide who were involved in testing the results of the original studies were threatened, received anonymous hate mail and were harassed in many ways.

Don't let the overall seventy five percentage of social psychology studies fool you. Over half of them were repeated on three continents just to double check the findings. less than 20% of them were totally correct. Over 40% of them were so false they're going to lead to possible legal action against the researchers who published them. It appears they just made up the shit they published.

After he got the story in email yesterday, Jay did a mass mailing to mental health and social work professionals in the region. Hahahahaa! This morning at 6:00 he had over a hundred replies. He took a shower and sat down to eat breakfast and read email. He had almost another hundred. Out of the few he read before he left he estimated half of them to be totally furious at him for sending it to them.

This is going to get way bigger.

http://myinforms.com/en/a/15830655-study...t-results/

So...does this mean that Homosexuality is now a mental illness again?

East Wrote:So...does this mean that Homosexuality is now a mental illness again?

I doubt that. Hahahahaha! There have been too many studies by too many people over too many years on that.

But now you mention that I'll bet some bonehead fundamentalists will try to make an issue out of that. I bet that sex obsessed Mark Regnerus, the fundamentalist sociology professor who testified in the Michigan gay adoption trial last year will be one of them. His published "studies" have already been discredited.

Whoa I feel really sorry for recent psychology graduates. Can you imagine working your ass off for a Phd then finding out that much of what you learnt was fraudulent.

East Wrote:So...does this mean that Homosexuality is now a mental illness again?

Omg!!
I just realized ..
If homosexuality is a mental illness..
If you hook up with a "straight" guy..
that's technically rape ...right?

Well just call me Lawsuit Lenny...

Everyone on my block is going down!!!

Maybe all this boils down to the fact that the human mind is just too damn complex to be pinpointed by science. Maybe we should focus on the physical, chemical, biological aspects that are more accurately studied. Makes me glad I chose clinical counseling practice rather than Psychology- it can be applied practically and therapeutically regardless of what the studies say.

Long, long ago I thought I would become an avid reader of Psychology Today. I may ahve even had a subscription. I don't remember. It quickly became a frustrating exercise because nothing ever seemed to be nailed down. There was measurement, conjecture, but rarely any conclusion that felt solid. Psychology seems to be a science of tendencies and possibilities and that can be very frustrating if you are looking for concretes. Sorry folks, a lot of things, like that famous cigar, just are.
I bid NO Trump!

So..
To backtrack..
Is it possible to sift through..separating fact from fiction consolidated into a new report or new publishing ?

If a clever , powerful group of psychologists got together and published a kick ass whistle blowing book..
That book would take the media by storm!!

This would be revolutionary ..
This could render degrees useless, shut down practices.. freeze college curriculums..

PS: Sounds like sensationalist muckracking to me. Stuff like this happens all the time in academia. It's one way they get promotions over each other.
I bid NO Trump!

This is what I wrote in a different forum about it
I assume not many people read psych-journals to begin with, but only what is published in the general media, where the writers get to pick and choose which study will support their ideas.

In general, it's also important to look who paid for said scientific study as studies' results often reflect the payers interests.
Second-hand smoke, cough, cough, anyone?
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.