Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baldness
We all know how prejudiced gay men are when it comes to physical appearance, but baldness seems to be well tolerated.

I started losing my hair when I was 17 and now that I am 36, I am still a NW2 (i.e. lots of hair).

How did I do it? Science. I've been taking finasteride (brand names Proscar and Propecia) daily for the last 15 years and it works. I was probably one of the first men to try it out, after reading an article from the wonderful Men's Health magazine.

There's also a topical lotion called minoxidil (brand name Rogaine), you should apply it twice a day.

Finasteride is FDA approved but it's not totally harmless: side effects may include impotence and loss of libido, because fin actually lowers DHT levels in your body. (by the way, the best guys I've had sex with were all bald, was it just a coincidence?)

Are you going bald and if so, what are you doing about it? There was great talk of PGD2 therapy some time ago in the media and it showed great promise.

Going through it now. I started really thinning about three years ago. I already have short hair. I tried minoxidil for a year but it made my scalp white and flaky and it didn't seem to work. Stopped using it. I had heard a healthy diet is good for hair, so I started eating much healthier and I think it's helping some. I was told that aloe vera helped and I have used it regularly for the past year and a half and it seems to have preserved some of my hair. I still have hair and a full hairline but it appears more fuzzier. I was so worried a few years ago but I actually look in the mirror and like the way my hair looks right now. I'm glad to hear that bald men are not frowned upon in the gay community. I was worried about that. Now I'm just letting nature take its course and eating healthy, working out, and learning to love myself, despite the fact that I don't have as much hair as I want. Smile

Hair is thinning out now days.

Did get a few small bald patches back in 2000, but that was because of stress. Got some hormone injections and it grew back.

Now that Im getting older, I use one bottle of foam rogaine once every other year and use some specialized shampoo and conditioner made for thinning hair, so it wont fall out. Seems to work.
Gotta use another bottle of rogaine this year.

If it ever does all fall out, I will be wearing wigs.

I like bald guys, actually. If it suits their face, it can actually be pretty sexy. I saw a bald guy at the grocery store today who looked sort of biker-ish, and I was almost drooling.

I shave my head.

To hell with it.

Smile

I've started going bald when I was 22.

Been shaving my head since I was 26.
I'm used to it, and I don't mind being bald, never had an issue with meeting people or getting laid that had anything to do with my being bald.

There are actual advantages to it, I don't have a barber bill. I don't have to buy expensive hair care products, just use an inexpensive shampoo every week or so to keep my scalp clean.
Of course there are disadvantages to it to. No hair for people to run their fingers through. Gotta be careful in the sun the first couple days after shaving, sunburned scalp SUCKS.

I also have a fairly normally shaped head, people with unusually shaped heads often don't look good bald. But it is what it is.

Richard

I have a receding hair line in front and a thin spot in the back that are in a race to the top of my head. If this affects somebody's sexual or romantic attraction to me, I'm not interested in them. Whenever I wake up to a bad hair day, I know it's time to trim it again. Confidence and a positive attitude will get you into someone else's bed faster than a full head of hair Smile .

RIGHT
[Image: 606.jpg]

WRONG
[Image: combover-bad-hair-1_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800]

I would date a man who's balding,
so long as he shaves his head religiously.

I shave my head regardless
because I like the way it looks and feels.

It's a sophisticated and easy look.

I used to sport long hair,
but (my god) does it take work and money to maintain!

Sure it's fun to play with and braid,
but I prefer the simplicity of a smooth head.

Geminize Wrote:I have a receding hair line in front and a thin spot in the back that are in a race to the top of my head. If this affects somebody's sexual or romantic attraction to me, I'm not interested in them. Whenever I wake up to a bad hair day, I know it's time to trim it again. Confidence and a positive attitude will get you into someone else's bed faster than a full head of hair Smile .

Truth!

I've been told I look good bald because I OWN IT--my baldness.

Some guys fight it. Do the best you can with what you have--or don't have.

Smile

Double007 Wrote:Going through it now. I started really thinning about three years ago. I already have short hair. I tried minoxidil for a year but it made my scalp white and flaky and it didn't seem to work. [...]

Have you tried the new Rogaine foam? It's easier to apply and doesn't irritate your scalp.