Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbary
I woke up to hear this on BBC Radio Four news programme. I am quite distressed to hear this.

Some poor soul had sent a radio message to the radio news programme. He has been taken hostage in the Sinai. The hostage holders are requesting $10,000 for each hostage, of which, apparently there are several hundreds. These people come from poor families and are Erytrean immigrants (who are dead poor anyway). The threat is that if the perpetrators don't get the ransom within 5 days, they just plainly kill off their victims.
Apparently this is truly happening. Confirmation was given by an association based in Amsterdam that is following these happenings.
I am shocked and appalled. I feel so helpless about doing anything for these people.
Please keep yourselves informed. Just in case there IS something we can do.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/new...772577.stm

As tragic as it is, the worst thing ANYBODY can do is pay these kidnappers.

Even if it costs the lives of these people, that is the price that has to be paid, to stop the scum of the earth committing these horrendous crimes.

Every single time these gangs are paid, it gives more incentive to do it again.

Just look at the kidnapping of Judith Tebbut, the SAS were on the verge of a rescue mission, which would have lead to swift justice on the kidnappers, but her family paid the ransom against government advice.

Now, obviously if it was my family member, I would do everything I could to bring them home, I would pay the earth, but that doesn't make it right.

The stance of the British Government, quite rightly, is to deny any ransom demand, at any cost.

It's an awful situation, made much worse by individuals thinking they are doing good.

Things like this need to be handled by the professionals.

Fingers crossed for the captives.