Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barefoot Running
So I just finished my first barefoot run, I ran about a mile on grass at a little park next to my apartment. My feet hurt, I have 2 blisters, and I'm bleeding on one toe. So why do I do it? I do beleive that it will eventualy be better for my feet and leg muscles, but I swee that there's going to be some pain ahead before I get there. Anyone else do this?
Richard

Well i do the same but not on the grass there are always some nausty cuts from different things even from broken branches, i love to run barefoot at the beach instead
The feeling of the warm sand on your feet while its dark and its a bit cold is amazing Wink
Try this next time Wink

I was a member of an Athletics club in my younger days but I never ran barefoot, always had my running spikes on during competition.
I know some professional distant runners sometimes run barefoot during competition. I imagine it would be quite painful but you'd get used to it I guess.
Do you really think it will benefit your feet in the long run? (excuse the unintentional pun) :biggrin:

I love running barefoot, I walk barefoot at home too, I just don't like wearing shoes or sneakers inside or outside for that matter. My friends think I'm such a weirdo for doing it but I love running barefoot. Be careful though you never know whats on the ground. my personal favorite is walking on cobbled streets Confusedmile:

Oh, wow...you have parks?
Running barefoot sounds very nice, I definitely envy you for having the chance to do it, even though I hate running.

Bookworm Wrote:I was a member of an Athletics club in my younger days but I never ran barefoot, always had my running spikes on during competition.
I know some professional distant runners sometimes run barefoot during competition. I imagine it would be quite painful but you'd get used to it I guess.
Do you really think it will benefit your feet in the long run? (excuse the unintentional pun) :biggrin:

Well the whole idea is that it activates more muscles than running in shoes, I don't know about the science, but, I can say that after one lap around the park which is about 1/4 mile I felt it in my butt, which usually takes at least a mile. So it seems to work more muscles.
Richard

I never considered it before but you got me intrigued.
Here's the wiki: Barefoot running

I'm interested in the biomechanics of it. Pretty neat.

They mention these "shoes" --> Vibram FiveFingers. I think I'm too gay to be caught in them. :tongue:

I stepped on a piece of broken glass this morning and this evening it's still embedded in my foot. Ouch. There will be no barefoot running for me any time soon. Sad

@KnightShade .. That's like one of the first things that came to mind when I saw this thread: "What if you step on broken glass while running"

I once once stepped on a small piece of glass while walking around outside... no way I coulda let it sit there all day :eek: I went right inside & took it out, that hurt worse than stepping on it tho...

------------
@SlipknotRlZZ .. that picture below your signature line is :eek: :eek:I know exactly where it came from ... and remember seeing that video played again & again on the news the day that all went down

Can't do it barefoot since I run in a middle of a busy city. Concrete road etc. Not possible.

Even without running barefoot, I still can injure myself. Last year I was so distracted with my run that I ran into another runner who came from a different corner. We slammed into each other and stumbled. I rolled fiercely on a concrete road (Thank heaven there wasn't a single car at a time).

I ripped my pants a bit but that didn't bother me. My ankles, arms and one of my legs were bleeding. A bit of tiny concrete pebbles got into my ankle's skin. I didn't clean it very thoroughly that pus appeared few days later. I was fascinated by my puss that I poked it and puff! Gooey things appeared. I quickly dabbed Dettol (Disinfectant product) and holy, the pain. "Die you germs, die!!!" ...

Pardon. I can be talkative.