Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barf
I liked House up until Season 7. Before then, there was always some kind of hope that he'd try and live a less miserable life, but then the show really focused around how every character on the show was miserable, not just House. This is where I lost interest. It painted a very dismal picture of life.

I haven't watched TV in years. I don't even OWN a TV. Total waist land. I *do* occasionally watch streaming TV series on NetFlix just for entertainment.

TV seems to be increasingly dominated (at least when I check/glance) by reality shows that almost everyone claims to hold in contempt yet obviously enormous amounts of people are watching. The "Real.." shows are just some of the worst offenders, but it's everything now... competition shows, dance shows, people whose only contribution to life appears to be the fact that they've had enough kids to fix Japan's population crisis, washed up celebrities, etc. Oh and now I saw a commercial for one about the crew of a small luxury yacht and the Frat/Sorority-esque lifestyle they lead when off duty on their small yacht. I guess they're running out of ideas.

I pretty much stopped watching TV when BSG finished its fourth season. The only new show I watched more than a couple of episodes of since then was the first season of American Horror Story.

Buzzer Wrote:TV seems to be increasingly dominated (at least when I check/glance) by reality shows that almost everyone claims to hold in contempt yet obviously enormous amounts of people are watching. The "Real.." shows are just some of the worst offenders, but it's everything now... competition shows, dance shows, people whose only contribution to life appears to be the fact that they've had enough kids to fix Japan's population crisis, washed up celebrities, etc. Oh and now I saw a commercial for one about the crew of a small luxury yacht and the Frat/Sorority-esque lifestyle they lead when off duty on their small yacht. I guess they're running out of ideas.

I pretty much stopped watching TV when BSG finished its fourth season. The only new show I watched more than a couple of episodes of since then was the first season of American Horror Story.

I like a few of the competition shows I must admit. Most I have never seen.

The ones I like are Top Chef, Project Runway and The Voice (though if The Voice does the country thing one more time I am done)....

I am not at all into fashion BUT I love the level of creativity and skill...same with Top Chef.

I also love Chef Ramsey. I know he yells a lot but I get it because they use the same tactics in Boot Camp with similar results.....

Oh yeah...I like the one on Sci Fi where they create the monsters...the make up/special effects people. I always forget about it though

MikeW Wrote:I haven't watched TV in years. I don't even OWN a TV. Total waist land. I *do* occasionally watch streaming TV series on NetFlix just for entertainment.

I did that for almost 18 months after the OJ Simpson nonsense...I didn't even miss the TV after a week. I thought I would.

Uneunsae Wrote:I liked House up until Season 7. Before then, there was always some kind of hope that he'd try and live a less miserable life, but then the show really focused around how every character on the show was miserable, not just House. This is where I lost interest. It painted a very dismal picture of life.

I am not sure what season I see...it is on sometimes at the gym.

East Wrote:I like a few of the competition shows I must admit. Most I have never seen.

The ones I like are Top Chef, Project Runway and The Voice (though if The Voice does the country thing one more time I am done)....

I am not at all into fashion BUT I love the level of creativity and skill...same with Top Chef.

I also love Chef Ramsey. I know he yells a lot but I get it because they use the same tactics in Boot Camp with similar results.....

Oh yeah...I like the one on Sci Fi where they create the monsters...the make up/special effects people. I always forget about it though

I am definitely okay with the more serious competition style shows (which have always been around.) I'm talking more about that stuff that is just any other catfight reality show packaged into a venue that involves some type of competitive activity-- like Dance Moms.

Buzzer Wrote:I am definitely okay with the more serious competition style shows (which have always been around.) I'm talking more about that stuff that is just any other catfight reality show packaged into a venue that involves some type of competitive activity-- like Dance Moms.

Agreed....

Oh yeah...I have a little bit of a crush on Heidi Klum...Gordon Ramsey...and Padma Lakshmi Smile

Padma is my favorite....this is one of the reasons why

One of the saddest things to happen to television is the decay of TLC, once a very good channel. Honey Boo Boo, Sister Wives, Long Island Medium, Breaking Amish, 19 Kids and Counting, it is all just worthless, mindless crap. It has come a long way in the wrong direction from its days as The Learning Channel. Watch TLC, Discover, or The Animal Planet, and add to it the History Channel going more in more in that direction, you will see why it is so important to maintain PBS.

Iceblink Wrote:One of the saddest things to happen to television is the decay of TLC, once a very good channel. Honey Boo Boo, Sister Wives, Long Island Medium, Breaking Amish, 19 Kids and Counting, it is all just worthless, mindless crap. It has come a long way in the wrong direction from its days as The Learning Channel. Watch TLC, Discover, or The Animal Planet, and add to it the History Channel going more in more in that direction, you will see why it is so important to maintain PBS.

I have managed to avoid all of those shows so far...the best I can do for "reality" is to watch people cook or sew clothes. I need the creativity factor to keep me tuned in.

I agree about PBS though as I was telling Buzzer earlier they had a cow when Tales of the City was first aired on PBS despite excellent ratings and awards forcing the franchise to go to Showtime. I think they have changed since then. I have donated before.