Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnsley
Going there to study at the Uni, but is it gay friendly or not as I don't wanna spend another year pretending to be who I'm not

but I know it's a bit rough

So anyone who lives in or around barnsley help Smile x

Barnsley are having their first Gay Pride this year on September 13th.
Here is a link to their web site but they havent put much info on it yet.
Barnsley Pride - Sunday 13th Sep 2009

I believe there is at least one gay venue in Barnsley called The Manx Arms. and there is a Barnsey LGBT group that have a website aswell.

Barnsley LGBT Forum - Links
Hope this helps.

Just a few thoughts...

Isn't calling Barnsley rough a bit rich coming from Doncaster Wink

As a student you are part of a sub-culture, therefore what it is like to be an average gay male living and working in Barnsley (or anywhere else) is not necessarily what it is like to be a gay student.

Barnsley isn't that far away from Doncaster, why not go there, find out what it is like, have a chat with some current students.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I have to say that, coming from Rotherham, Barnsley wouldn't be my first choice of places to start off my out and proud life!!!! (See my previous posts about leading a double life London vs S. Yorks). Having said that if it were a toss up between Barnsley and Doncaster I don't think there is much in it!!

At uni there is a pretty active gay scene in most places so just go with the flow!!!

Good luck with Uni, Steven. Hope you won't have to pretend being who you are not. Maybe not being in high school will also help. High schools can be pretty daunting because everyone can be so immature. Hope things are better at Uni.