Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being Gay and Christian?? Possible?
The core principals of Christianity, as quoted by Christ himself, are "Love God, and love your neighbor" on these all the other laws rest, which I've always interpreted to mean to err on the side of love and generosity vs. rules for their own sake. As someone explained above the Levite codes were written for a particular time and place, and the fact that the majority of Christians today misunderstand them doesn't oblige you to hear them any differently. You can't help it that people don't study their own faith. If you are given the gift of a loving relationship (which isn't easy to find) that is cause for joy and if you pursue it with honesty and fidelity the god I believe in would have no problem with it.

I should probably point out that my dude of 11+ years and I met in church and to say we have been supported by our congregation is an understatement. And it is not a "gay church" we are one of just a handful of same-gender couples.

Of course it is possible. It is not possible to be a Christian in the sense of hating, threatening, bible-thumping and condemning fundamentalist and be gay, but who would want to be. By the hour I grow sadder and sicker of the thumpers who hurt themselves and others. Christianity is a challenge that welcomes all comers, but it is very, very difficult for haters.
I bid NO Trump!

I have no crystal ball to tell you what is wrong or right for you but there is a movie called Prayers for Bobby that addresses the religious aspect of been gay and how the bible can be interpreted , there is a few scenes with a clergy man who actually explains this very well - watch the movie and if you get something positive out of it then great

matty7 Wrote:I have no crystal ball to tell you what is wrong or right for you but there is a movie called Prayers for Bobby that addresses the religious aspect of been gay and how the bible can be interpreted , there is a few scenes with a clergy man who actually explains this very well - watch the movie and if you get something positive out of it then great

Good movie but SOOOO sad.

The whole concept of being gay and Christian is so unnecessarily complicated. The Book of Leviticus calls those who eat pork an abomination, as well as those who trim their facial hair; the Book of Deuteronomy calls women who wear men's clothes (pants??) an abomination; St. Paul's letters blasts alcoholics...yet we see all of these groups still happily Christian. The only reason that any LGBT feels this way is because it is the Christian Right stating that the two are not compatible. They shame us, wanting us to believe that we are wrong, and then try to incite fear by stating that failure to adhere to their perceived standards will mean an afterlife burning.

Many LGBT realize that the main message of the Bible is about love. The other smaller messages regarding LGBT issues do not appear in any message directly attributed to Jesus, an important fact lost in the minutia of the Christian Right. But very sadly, some LGBT lose sight of this fact. And it warps them. They want to be a good Christian and they certainly don't want to burn in hell, so they swear off all relationships. No loving God would want that....no loving God would want you to isolate yourself and forbid yourself a loving and fulfilling relationship simply because he made you different. And the message of Jesus certainly doesn't support that a loving God would want to make you unhappy.

Just today I heard from someone, a young gay man, who told me that while he would love to have a relationship with a man nobody could ever know and he would never do anything besides hold hands and maybe the occasional grope. Just consider the lunacy of that? Why should he feel that to be properly Christian he must hide his relationship? Why should he feel that to be Christian, the furthest extent to which he can express his love and his feelings is with hand holding?

Sigh. Nobody should let any Christian make them feel like less of a person because of who they are. Just like it is possible to be Christian to be an alcoholic, to be a woman wearing pants, to eat pork or shellfish, it is also okay to be Christian and to be gay. Dwelling on a handful of statements in the Bible truly detracts from the ultimate message that Jesus conveyed in the Gospels: love.

phillyboy1234 Wrote:Just today I heard from someone, a young gay man, who told me that while he would love to have a relationship with a man nobody could ever know and he would never do anything besides hold hands and maybe the occasional grope. Just consider the lunacy of that? Why should he feel that to be properly Christian he must hide his relationship? Why should he feel that to be Christian, the furthest extent to which he can express his love and his feelings is with hand holding?

Sigh. Nobody should let any Christian make them feel like less of a person because of who they are. Just like it is possible to be Christian to be an alcoholic, to be a woman wearing pants, to eat pork or shellfish, it is also okay to be Christian and to be gay. Dwelling on a handful of statements in the Bible truly detracts from the ultimate message that Jesus conveyed in the Gospels: love.

This. If you believe in an all-knowing God, what good is keeping your sexuality a secret from people? Their judgment is not the one that matters.