Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a school teacher and being gay.
oh yeah its also depends if your in a catholic school... :/

In my four years of high school, I've encountered numerous teachers that are either gay, lesbian or bisexual. Being a teacher and being gay are two different things. Being out doesn't mean that your not being professional. It only means that children to some degree would understand and probably be curious enough to question everything they see in the media (of course in this case, it would probably be you who they will be asking). Hey, there's wrong with being a teacher and being gay. :-)

dfiant Wrote:There are so many grey areas of this issues. I would like to think our socities have come far enough that issues like sexuality are not issues, but in an environment where there are children, anything that is different is a chance to ridicule, you just need one student to start the ball rolling if they have a problem with your sexuality. And then there is 'The Parents' situation

On the other hand, it could be a positive thing to be open and honest, not only will students trust you, the students that most need a role model may just find one in you.

Trust your own judgement in all situations I think would be the best advice to offer you, and don't forget that your students have parents.

Yeah I think I will have to judge it on a case by case basis, I think in an ideal world it wouldn't matter, but reality is thats not the world we live in. I would rather be known as a teacher who is good at what he does rather than "the gay teacher". To an extent I think the power of the parents is less than that of those in other countries. I remember seeing a gay teacher get dismissed a couple of years ago and he had a lawsuit against the local education authority and was repayed £2 million but that was after all of the hassle he had got. I'm just going to take it as a learning experience I think. Confusedmile:

My old art teacher was gay.......nd he didnt seem to mind people asking him question....he was quite an open person tbh.

None of the students/pupils seemed too botherd about him being gay either.

My cousin keeps her sexuality private and she told me a horror story once about a teacher who got outed and the students were vicious about it.

wow that sounds bad. :eek:

I know that this is a rather unfair obligation, etc. But I personally believe that gay and lesbian teachers have a moral duty to be good role models and an antidote to stereotypes.

Just my tuppence worth...
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I know that this is a rather unfair obligation, etc. But I personally believe that gay and lesbian teachers have a moral duty to be good role models and an antidote to stereotypes.

Just my tuppence worth...

That's what I think to, so it will stop kids believing stereotypes.

That's what I believe to, so the kids won't believe the stereotypes and have positive gay role models.

There are two openly gay teachers at my school, one is an English teacher (his name is Garth Greenwell and he just published a book of gay fiction), and the other one is the vastly respected psychologist/counselor/whatever. I really don't know how they came out (I could ask if you want me to), but like 90% of the students know. Bulgaria is a pretty homophobic country, even our administration is kind of homophobic, but so far I haven't heard of those guys having any problems with the students whatsoever. And even if they do, they really wouldn't care. Does it really matter what a bunch of ignorant teens think of you? :d The only case I know about is when at last year;s Gay Parade an openly lesbian girl and that English teacher had taken a picture together and uploaded it to Facebook and some senior brat (most people at my school are like that) had written a vulgar hate comment on it, but his reaction was tacled immediately, like sooooo many people were like "DUDE wtf?! how can you be so ignorant" and yeah.
So I think that you shouldn't flaunt it, but if rumors start going around and/or someone asks you about it, you should just admit it. Maybe even get involved in a campaign or two against LGBT bullying at school? lol In the end, though, maybe you have to see for yourself just what the attitude towards gay students in that school is and make a decision then because, who knows, coming out COULD have a very negative impact depending on the people...

But you know how it is, kids can be awfully cruel. Just keep your head up if anything happens, and remember we support you more than fully. :]