Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a school teacher and being gay.
Hi mrk2010, whatever we say here, this is going to be your decision. However noble your intentions, I think you are right to be cautious.

While for the past thirteen years I have been earning my living as a freelance musician, I do still spend a lot of time running workshops in schools and before that was a local authority adviser, OFSTED inspector and worked as a class teacher in a few schools in three authorities in England. My work takes me into all sorts of schools from nursery/Foundation Stage through to KS4 and into sixth form and FE, so, having worked in hundreds of educational institutions over the years I feel some sympathy with the issues you are facing.

Thankfully, we are no longer gagged by Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988, which prevented many professionals in schools from talking about being gay, even though the wording did not specifically outlaw it. However, you have some tough priorities to deal with over the next few years. Not only are you going to have to get through initial teacher training, but you have to survive your first year to gain qualified teacher status. I would suggest that you direct all your energy to reaching your goal of becoming a teacher and of learning the ropes of your chosen profession. Allowing anything to distract you from that can have devastating consequences on your career path.

My partner, princealbertofb, is a teacher in the French equivalent of sixth form and his approach is that his relationships and life outside school are private, but while he does not discuss his personal life, I am not exactly a secret! I have met most of his colleagues, I have talked to his students in his classes and I have been to the USA on an educational visit with many students from his school and we intend to take another group next year. In many of the schools I have worked in I have had occasion to share news about my partner (using maculine pronouns, of course) with adults in the school. I have often taken the opportunity to tackle homophobic comments head on among pupils, but I am in a privileged situation. I flit in and out of schools and do not have to face the same pupils day in and day out. I agree that we have a responsibility to stand up and be counted. Unless we offer those positive and real images of gay adults who is going to do it? Sometimes though, it pays to bide your time. My suggestion is to establish your credentials as a bona fide teacher. There are plenty of mistakes to be made learning the pedagogical ropes without "queering" your pitch by misjudging interventions in more personal situations. After your probationary year there will be plenty of opportunity to take on extra responsibilities including being prepared to contribute to developing the school's policy on dealing with homophobic incidents if you so wish. None of this need prevent you from being seen among pupils as approachable when they have questions, but make sure you know what the school's policies and practices are concerning counselling pupils. Every school is different; that is one of the joys of the work I do.

Best wishes to you and I wish you every success in pursuing such a tough and rewarding career. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss anything off list and you think I might be able to help.

Wow thank you Marshlander. :-)

The only thing is I can query is that I am going to be "thrown" into the classroom from the start as I have sent an application for a graduate training programme in which I am teaching from the start to gain qualified teaching status from the off rather than doing a conventional qualification. The positive is I'll be earning money from the start but I'll be thrown to the lions. I think I might consider keeping things quiet till I earn QTS then I will be able to have free reign in the classroom. Confusedmile:

The main thing I'd worry about is backlash. As a teacher, you're in the position of nurturing and educating youth on a daily basis. Parents trust you to handle their kids and hopefully become a mentor to them. Some folks out there will be ignorant and associate gay with pedophile automatically.

I'm not saying I think you should hide who you are. I think it's entirely situational, and in the career you're wanting to pursue, I think discression would be wise to use. Plus, some kids will be jerks about it, whether that means they'll tease you about it, start rumors about you, or even go to their parents or other officials and try to get you thrown out.

It could be very nasty, but it could also be very positive. Entirely depends on the people you end up dealing with.

musicman2229 Wrote:Well maybe it depends on the age group? If they're second graders, maybe it's not a great idea to discuss it. If they're high school kids, maybe it could help them. I kind of doubt whether any grade school kid would be brave enough to ask their teacher if he was gay, but if a student approached you about it seeking your advice on something, I would be as open with them as possible while understanding some parents can be very homophobic and VERY sue-happy. Help the students, but cover your back.

I don't see why it 's not a good idea for a 2nd grader to know about homosexuality.

As for the question, I think you should just be like who you are with everyone. You don't go have to go around and talk about your sexual orientation but if someone asks then just be open about it. If you have an office then it wouldn't be a taboo to decorate it with a small rainbow object or a picture of you and your boyfriend ( if you have one).

Wow I'm really happy with all of the different views and comments that have been posted on the thread, thanks guys. Confusedmile:

posterpicture Wrote:I don't see why it 's not a good idea for a 2nd grader to know about homosexuality.

As for the question, I think you should just be like who you are with everyone. You don't go have to go around and talk about your sexual orientation but if someone asks then just be open about it. If you have an office then it wouldn't be a taboo to decorate it with a small rainbow object or a picture of you and your boyfriend ( if you have one).

I agree, but at the same time I disagree. I dunno how many 2nd graders know the details of a straight relationship or how straight sex works. Heck at that point, I don't think kids really even have those kinds of feelings. Isn't it that usually kids around that age stick to their own gender anyway?

It ain't bad to let em know that they can grow up and love whoever they want to love, but a lot of parents probably wouldn't take too kindly to it. As hypocritical as that might be...

ZackT Wrote:I agree, but at the same time I disagree. I dunno how many 2nd graders know the details of a straight relationship or how straight sex works. Heck at that point, I don't think kids really even have those kinds of feelings. Isn't it that usually kids around that age stick to their own gender anyway?

It ain't bad to let em know that they can grow up and love whoever they want to love, but a lot of parents probably wouldn't take too kindly to it. As hypocritical as that might be...

I know about straight relationship since I was in kinder garden. It doesn't mean I knew about how baby was made at that age but I did know that people kiss, hold hand, and share a family with their someone special. I learned it by observing my parents, heterosexual couples around me or by looking at the media ( even in cartoon for kids, there are still very clearly that relationship between a man and a woman exists ). I don't know bout "stick to their own gender".Probably because I 'm "abnormal" in this current society standard. I always preferred to hang out with female friends when I was in elementary school.
If I am a parent, I wouldn't take it so kindly if my kids have to learn the wrong things that this world consists of only heterosexual couple.
I believe kids have their right to pursuit the knowledge about how this world really work. The problem with adults are we always think we have the right to choose what to show the kids. Just what we think is bad for the kids do not mean we have the right to lie to them. And in this case, I don't see how showing the kids that homosexuality exists is a bad thing. I feel it make the kids mind become twisted when we lie to them that homosexuality is something bad and they shouldn't know about it until they grow up.

I know that a lot of schools now at story time have more up to date fairytales and stories which have two princes and princesses, so maybe schools are trying to educate children earlier about homosexual relationships. Confusedmile:

mrk2010 Wrote:I know that a lot of schools now at story time have more up to date fairytales and stories which have two princes and princesses, so maybe schools are trying to educate children earlier about homosexual relationships. Confusedmile:
Having been interested in children's literature for a long time I have a small collection of books written for children that feature same sex relationships, including such titles such as King and King and Daddy's Room Mate. Of course, these are not going to be appropriate for secondary age, but as a biology teacher in a high school ... now I'm thinking, "what an interesting project" - just not yet; eh Wink

I like to keep appraised on current issues on teaching , anything which may make me successful, I want to be the teacher I didn't have. Confusedmile: