Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being new at school
Well I'm new in town and school is going to start in about a week or so. I was wondering if I should tell people I'm bi even though my own mother doesn't know. I think it makes sense being new and all but I'm not sure. I don't want to make friends and then have one of them accidentally say something in front of my mom. Which brings me to another question: should I tell my mom? I'm not really ready to tell her because she thinks I like guys and I just came to terms with my sexuality not too long ago. She might be upset by the sudden change or not accept it. I'm also afraid that if I tell people at school they'll be put off by it, making it hard for me to make friends. I just kinda need advice on what to do.

yes, yes and yes
but thats my opinion and you need to do this to your advantage.

look for the glbt center on campus too

Just do what you feel comfortable with. You might be best served waiting a little while though, and confiding in your friends once you're sure who they are. At least be sure what kind of people are going to your new school first, maybe see if there are other girls who are out, and see how people deal with it (they might not even care, which would be the preferred reaction :p).

As far as your mother goes, same kind of deal. Make sure you're comfortable telling her, don't do it because you feel you need to. However, saying that, if you've reached the point where you're sure you know your sexuality - and it won't be changing any time soon - then she'll probably find out sooner or later. And if that's the case, it just depends whether you want to get it over with, or whether you want to leave it a while until you feel ready.

Hope it works out Smile And good luck at you're new school! Smile

hi there, why not just see how the new school is just to get an idea on how people will react, maybe see how pupils are treated who are already out, school is difficult and getting bullied will make things harder (this is just a worse case scenario though -don't want to worry you), im sure in the first week your not gonna be asked if your bi anyway so times on your side Smile - for me it would be easier to tell friends sooner rather than tell a lie which makes coming out tons harder, if they don't accept then their not good people after all so no loss, if people are happy then asking them not to speak in those terms in front of your mum till you have told her yourself is a request any true friend will totaly respect - good luck - sure some other posters have some great advice too

That makes a lot of sense, thanks Smile