Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being thin and Type2 Diabetes
Yep sugars are also carbs... I guess the question is what kind of carbs...I think some cheap pasta is a good example...if you just let it sit in your mouth you'll taste it become sweeter because the bonds that hold the chains together are weak and basically what you got is glucose.

But I am curious about how it isn't reversible, a lot of things seem to point that it is and also thought diabetes was caused by insulin resistance...and the insulin resistance caused by too much sugar over a long period of time...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Well, there has been talk of some reversibility, but generally not. It can be manageable, though.

Here again one must be careful of confusing symptoms with causes. Insulin resistance is a symptom, not a cause.

A century ago diabetes was a death sentence. There has been a lot of progress in treatment and management but we really do not know the cause. Note that you will often see phrases that allude to certain things lowering or raising the chances of developing diabetes, but not causing or eliminating it. In one way, the association of sugar [carb] consumption and diabetes being stuck in people's minds is a good thing, but it can be an oversimplification. My old GP, a saint by the way, was wonderful at answering questions about diabetes, but I would often run up against things that just did not seem to make sense. He said that I needed to see that diabetes is an incredibly complicated disease and that if you understand diabetes you will understand medicine.

One thing that constantly amazes me is that I can have symptoms that act one way on one day and another way on another day. The other morning I woke up with a sugar reading of 64 and felt perfectly normal. At other times such a level has had me completely loopy. I have asked the doctor about this and he says that the body has all kids of ways that it compensates, unbeknownst to us poor mortals.
I bid NO Trump!

Well everyone except me and my sister (we're 29 & 30) have diabetes...now I'm curious say if I keep up eating healthy, getting/staying in shape would slow or prevent it... The scary thing is that kids are getting it and we have more obese kids now than ever... But good information, I'll have to dig into the whole thing I'm sure that there has to be good info somewhere instead of the whole "don't eat that candybar or you'll get fat and get diabetes and be a burden on the healthcare system."

Speaking of, just like thin people being "sick" you can have healthy obese people...I mean sounds crazy but from what I have heard about 20% of obese people in the US are healthy...meaning healthy blood pressure, healthy cholesterol, healthy triglycerides and so on...

It is all very interesting, nothing seems to be black and white...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Well there is no question that careful eating and exercise are good steps to lower your chances of developing diabetes. One of the most important parts of this is to steadily maintain the good habits. No yo yo weight patterns, regular exercise. It is common sense.

The American Diabetes Association has a good website. Places like the Mayo Clinic, the Cleveland Clinic, WebMD are decent references. A diet that is low in fat and carbs and high in fiber with a substantial portion of plants is good to look into. The Zone Diet is very interesting as a maintenance regimen. It really is not faddish and I have had doctors recommend it. Remember that if you are looking at a "diet" it must be something you can stick with for the rest of your life, not just to lose a certain number of pounds or to use for six months. The same goes for exercise. You need a level you can maintain.

One doctor held up his hand and said, "Here's a good diet. lean meat, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, skim milk, cottage cheese and walk for half an hour a day." Five foods and exercise.

Another common sense thing to do is to have a serious talk with your doctor about the pattern of diabetes in your family and ask for all the information you can get on nutrition and prevention.
I bid NO Trump!

[Image: _87615110_sl-snacks-getty976.jpg]

Man, I want to eat whatever that is.

LJay Wrote:Second, diabetes is an irreversible syndrome related to the small vessels.

Not so long ago there was a study at Newcastle University that claimed that Type2 diabetes was reversible.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2015/10/type2diabetes/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle...-diet.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/229606.php

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110624/very-low-calorie-diet-may-reverse-diabetes

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/...-diet-cure
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The thing that gets my parents in trouble is that they consume a lot of sugar and then they crash in between meals...then they have to get sugar in them because their blood sugar is low. I told them that if they cut the crap out there's a good chance they would need much lower doses of medication or none at all...they just looked at me like veggies on their plate... they only fry food... and save bacon grease!
Check out my stuff!

LJay Wrote:A few things here, gents.

First, it is important to note that sugar does not cause diabetes. It aggravates dibetes symptoms and avoiding it can help to control diabetes, but it is not a cause or the cause.

Second, diabetes is an irreversible syndrome related to the small vessels.

Third, as my doctor says, "Carbs is carbs." Just as much as sugar, you can mess up your blood sugar levels with a piece of bread, a bowl of rice, or a banana.

"sugars" being a commoner's term for carbohydrates, and yes, they do cause type 2 diabetes --> excess sugar ---> insulin overproduction ---> panchreas overloaded with activity ---> panchreas messed up ---> diabetes.

Again, it seems people need to be told everything.

Seriously, if people can't fucking grab a metabolism book and learn a bit, maybe they deserve the illness.

*hate will rain on me*
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

LONDONER Wrote:But very many people who are thin don't believe or know that they are at risk and so publicity of the fact is helpful. I'm not concerned about whether it's logical or not, I'm just stating the facts. Not everyone thinks as logically as you do, obviously.

Maybe I'm demanding too much of people. What a disappointment.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[MENTION=23097]Insertnamehere[/MENTION]

Keep in mind these people...

[Image: giphy.gif]

"What is insulin again? I eat healthy choice..." or "I drink those slim fast shakes."

People in general don't have a clue...some people have an idea and a few have actually understand things.... A bunch of people are going to vote for Trump too...
Check out my stuff!